New guy here, saying hello, and need some info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I have been wanting to get a freshwater aquarium going for quite some time. I was about to go buy a 50 gal setup untill my friend's father offered me a 150 gal tank he is no longer using. All I had to do was get a new stand for it. I made my own when I seen how flimsy the ones in the store were. My will hold a Cadillac!!! Now on to my questions....
This WAS a saltwater tank, what is the best way to clean out the pumps?
Also if you look at the pictures you can see the pump setup. 2 pumps at the bottom then there are 3 "tiers" for me to add filter material. The thing is I have no clue what should go on each level. Also I would like reccomendations on a good heater/heaters for this tank.
I have so many other questions, but for now I want to get this tank properly cleaned, and buy the correct filter media so I can start on the wonderful journey of building my own little eco-system :)
tank1.jpg

filter.jpg

Welcome to AA! :wave: Filter media you could use is filter floss, bio balls, ceramic rings, pot scrubbers to name a few. I honestly can't help you on the best way to clean the pumps, I'll leave that to the experts. For my 125 I have 2 ebo jager heaters 150w each. That works well for me but I believe the recommendation is a bit higher per gal. Beautiful tank, I'm jealous. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the compliments!!! I'm hoping my aquascaping ideas will compliment the tank. 2 more start off questions. With the pump system I have in this tank would it be ok to use sand instead of gravel? Next question is The hood has 2 ballasts. An Ice Cap 430 for the white bulbs, and what was explained to me as a ballast for 2 special actinic bulbs. I did some searching but can't figure out if theese lights would be benificial for a freshwater tank.....

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom