New guy here with my 14g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordheavyc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just thought I would say hi and introduced myself and my tank. I'm new to this hobby and just started my first tank on February. I going with just a basic low tech freshwater tropical tank. I bought a set up on Craigslist with a 14Gal tank, aqueon filter and a few other things i elected not to reuse. I've purchased an new heater and light set up that has a blue and white LED strip. For the flora ive currently got Micro sword, Amazon sword and dwarf saggitaria. Live stock consists of 1 male Dragonscale Betta. 3 Banded Kuhli Loaches. And I'm attempting to add 5 Cardinal Tetra. Although when i tried to add them 4 of the 5 died. I had a spike in NO3 which im assuming was the cause. Or maybe the temp was to high for them. I'm going to try and get my levels back to normal and maybe try again.

Anyway here's a few pictures. Please feel free to comment and make any suggestions to improve my set up. Or ask any questions.

20170301_131159.jpgcameringo_20170309_185045.jpg

So I've got this problem. I've got what looks like little hair algae growing on all my plants and the water just isn't very clear. What can I do to combat this algae?

So I've got this problem. I've got what looks like little hair algae growing on all my plants and the water just isn't very clear. What can I do to combat this algae?

For algae you should get a pleco and some snails. There are also shrimp that will clean your tank.

Couple problems I could see with those. First is I think the pleco will just get too big for my tank. Second I really don't wanna have a snail infestation and have a second problem to deal with. Third inverts are illegal in my state. I know i could buy online and get away with it but i dont need to chance that. Are there other non living solutions for this issue? Thanks though

Yes, a pleco would not be appropriate for that tank size. A much smaller fish, Otocinclus, is a better choice, however, not for hair algae.
I would address the lighting first.
What brand/model/size of fixture are you using?
How many hours of the day is it on?
Is it on a timer?
What kind of water change schedule (volume/frequency) are you using?
Snails...if you don't have them already, no need to introduce them.
Inverts in general, I've *heard* of them being illegal (transport and/or possession) in Maine and Hawaii but I'm sure there are others.

Yeah I live in Maine and they are illegal lol. The lighting I just started using this week is this....

XIAO MO GU LED Aquarium Hood Lighting Fish Tank Light for Freshwater and Saltwater,lighting Color White and Blue Fit for 20"-27" Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZWVT6N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_o4uXybQF5HHT6

I do have it on a timer set for about a ten hour cycle. I set it for that long because my plants were not doing well from my previous lighting fixture. Im certainly not opposed to shortening that.
Water changes I've started doing 25 percent changes every week. My last test readings were as follows.
pH 7.0
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 10 mg/L
Phosphate .5 mg/l

Back
Top Bottom