New guy in town :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HouLiGaN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
( The red writing at the bottom says about my fishtank now et, if you guys cant be botherd to read everything else :)

Hello Guys.
First i will like to say that i was browsing the forum for 1-2 days and got many interesting/helpful info from many different threads ! So thats why i decided to come and make a account so i could maximise as possible my knowledge around aquariums.

As a young boy my mother purchased a fish tank, it must of been 80-100 gallons & we had a big pond in our back garden with fishes in too.We had to give them up when we decided to leave our house and move.

Now i am 19 years old, i recently had a betta in an ordinary fish bowl, for approximately 9-10 months, and died recently because it curled up in a shell, and basically i believe hes bones broke, and he couldn't swim, after i helped it get out, even when it was free from the trapped position it was in, 2 days passed before it eventually died. ( he couldn't swim at all)

Anyway to make a big story short. My girlfriend bought me a new betta to get over the old one. I saved up money, and went and bought my self a 15 gallon fish tank. As days passed i stocked it with its equipment, today i started the no fish cycle for ammonia and bacteria etc.

The fishtank is freshwater , & i am thinking of adding 2 pseudotropheus saulosi to it in a few days when the cycle is over :).

Sorry for making a short story long, but i am just a bit excited etc. :dance:

:thanks: for your time

Thank you very much :) !!
I pressed the thanks button but im not sure what it does :p Anw in time i will find out everything :cool:

You thanked me! I hope you enjoy this forum everyone is friendly and helpful :)

You thanked me! I hope you enjoy this forum everyone is friendly and helpful :)

I have already read a lot of posts and threads, and one reason why i choose to join this forum , is because everyone looks very friendly and helpful !:)

Sorry to tell you this friend, but fishless cycling takes a lot longer than just a few days, more like 6+ weeks. Search this forum (or the internet) for fishless cycling, there's a lot of good information, even step by step instructions on how to fully cycle your aquarium.

Welcome to AA.

Sorry to tell you this friend, but fishless cycling takes a lot longer than just a few days, more like 6+ weeks. Search this forum (or the internet) for fishless cycling, there's a lot of good information, even step by step instructions on how to fully cycle your aquarium.

Welcome to AA.
To start off thank you for welcoming :)

Aquamandan , i have read many posts throughout the forum and on the web about this and i totally agree with you. I have been advised from the pet shop that i go to that using the medicine that i bought from them that in around a week i shall be good to go. 1 Friend of mine and a family member of mine that also got advised from the same pet shop about setting up the aquarium and used the same medicine had succeeded with there setting up and cycling of their aquarium.

But because i was a bit worried about this, i added a extra dose of the medicine that deals with ammonia and bacterias etc( only for today, in the following days i will continue as advised), i also read on the net that adding stuff from other tanks that had success will speed up the cycling process, so i also added some stocking from my familys members aquarium that he did not want to use anymore.

I am worried about being cruel to the fish that i will purchase, but i am a bit confident from my sources, i would hate to be the odd one out from my friend and family member. I have a lot of extra time on hand and do spend a lot of time in the area that i added my aquarium, so if anything does go wrong, i will be able to do water changes immediately.

The items that i added to my aquarium are rock kind ( i added a picture of my aquarium as my profile picture, but i do not know why it doesn't show yet) I know it would be more efficient to use a part of their filter but i did not go in the hassle of asking.

Do you think i should consider myself safe? or do you think i should take precautions? The pet shop that sells the Pseudotropheus Saulosi(the fish i want to get) is like a 55 minute drive from my home, and i do not know the price on them yet, if they are expensive i will consider adding 1-2 cheaper but nice fish in first just so i can be safe money wise, but it will be fish that i would love to stick around in the long run as well.

Welcome to the forum! I have read many posts about starting up and cycling and it seems that danios are very hearty fish to add after your tank cycles. That way if it mini-cycles with the new ammonia source they should be able to survive. They are affordable and fun to watch fast swimmers. I'm just not sure if 15 gal is enough room for them. Does anyone else have more info?

BTW, your profile pic just showed up. Is that coral? I have heard it can affect water chemistry in a fresh water tank.

BTW, your profile pic just showed up. Is that coral? I have heard it can affect water chemistry in a fresh water tank.

I do not have any idea what it is, but its nothing alive, it was in my family members freshwater fish tank, i will search pics of corals on the net to see if it looks the same , i will notify you. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I looked it up and it does look like a white coral of some sort, i do not know if it is bad for freshwater aquariums, i will ask the person that gave it to me 4 more details, like if its fake or something, what i do know is that it has been in hes fish tank(freshwater also) for around a year, and he didn't have any problems around this matter. :) thank you for noticing. I would never had known . :)

Last edited:
No problem, I have crazy soft water here and wanted to keep shrimp in my community tank so I had to add crushed coral to increase the general hardness. I think that's the only thing to consider but as a fellow newcomer I'm not positive. I like the way it looks so hopefully you can keep it without issue. Does anyone else out there know if coral could be harmful?

Back
Top Bottom