New Guy Jumping in the Deep End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medic with Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Warm Greetings to all,

I've jumped in the deep end with my first fish tank ever. My wife probably thinks I'm crazy and I can't blame her. Before three days ago I the only thing I knew about salt water tanks were that they were pretty. But I've more or less inherited more than a sane person would start with. Here's what I'm getting moved into my house tomorrow: (excuse my ignorance on many of these items, it's been a heck of a crash course learning this stuff for the past three days)

150 gal custom saltwater acrylic tank w/ stand that has been established for several years.
A pump system that is said to be big enough for a 5k gal tank
Includes a UV filter and a protein filter
Sump system
Lights, chemicals, food and some replacement parts
All the water, sand, coral and fish. (3 tangs, on brittle starfish and a sea slug)

My biggest question is were do I start to make sure I don't lose all the life in the tank? I've seen some of the general specs for tanks (temp, pH, SG etc) and I do have a degree in biology but I've never even owned any goldfish, let alone something as massive and complicated as this. I took this on knowing full well this would be no easy task so any help would be greatly appreciated.

WOW!!! Does a test kit come with it? If not you will most definitely need to get one. Maybe you need to put this under the SW part.

WOW!!! Does a test kit come with it? If not you will most definitely need to get one. Maybe you need to put this under the SW part.

Yes, I believe that the guy I'm getting all this from does have a test kit in addition to all the "adjustment supplies" for lack of a better term.

I guess that my biggest question is how much of a shock is it going to be to the system to move it, and what can I do to prevent some of it and help it recover from the rest. (hopefully keeping all the fish alive in the process)

Thanks again.

Medic with Fish said:
Yes, I believe that the guy I'm getting all this from does have a test kit in addition to all the "adjustment supplies" for lack of a better term.

I guess that my biggest question is how much of a shock is it going to be to the system to move it, and what can I do to prevent some of it and help it recover from the rest. (hopefully keeping all the fish alive in the process)

Thanks again.

I was given a bunch of fresh water stuff from a friend at Christmas. Check the test kits for their expiry dates when you get them. Mine were all past their dates and gave me false readings.

Good luck! That sounds like an immense project.

Back
Top Bottom