Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorholic View Post
Hi Rush 81; I have nothing bigger than a 20 gallon going at the moment, and i'm old fashoned, I love the underground filters and that's what I use. Your death tank must be that due to the filtration system, I'd go to another type filtration system and see what happens. That;s all I know to do.
As for my room for fish, that is down the road a ways. I'm trying to figure out what to do to get my 50 gallon going. Never had one that large before.
IMO you'll have a easier time with the bigger tank. less level hassle. I like undergravel filters but actually forgot to put it in my 75 and didnt realize until i was done and I wasnt moving backwards at that point lol I live in Denton, Tx. Live in GA for a while and miss the fish selection there. Its not bad here but different. I am going to have to make up some custom sizing for my 45g bbdiamond tank odd shape but its before they said hey lets bow a piece of glass instead for making 3 flat sections in front great corner tank
On my 55 i set up a underwater blower to help cirrculate the water. And of course setup a canister pump brand opt of course but as i hae stated b4 im a fluval girl im in love with there new one with digital screen its over the top i think but i still love it maybe for that reason im not gonna lie lol

Any plant suggestions???
Rush81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi Rush, I went to a local petsmart this afternoon for a few more fish, and a hew hood light. I was looking at and pricing the bigger tanks, and asked the guy at the store what to use in a 50 gallon tank I have so he showed me filters and pumps, but no underground filters, and I didn't ask him about them in that size. I didn't realise they were available. Thanks for letting me know that. My problem is the 50g tank is fours hours away in my old home. But, I have no place for it at the moment, negoiating with the other half on that one still. ha ha I've read that if you use live plants it's not good to use an underground filter, that so? thanks lady.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorholic View Post
Hi Rush, I went to a local petsmart this afternoon for a few more fish, and a hew hood light. I was looking at and pricing the bigger tanks, and asked the guy at the store what to use in a 50 gallon tank I have so he showed me filters and pumps, but no underground filters, and I didn't ask him about them in that size. I didn't realise they were available. Thanks for letting me know that. My problem is the 50g tank is fours hours away in my old home. But, I have no place for it at the moment, negoiating with the other half on that one still. ha ha I've read that if you use live plants it's not good to use an underground filter, that so? thanks lady.
I've had ppl tell me they are not needed in the bigger tanks but I say to each there own. I honestly dont know much about plants in the tank all mine are plastic. However I would think undergravel filters would be bad in a planted tank because they need substrate to hold and grow into. It may rob them of nutrients idk. I say for 2 to 300.00 you can get a new 55/75g tank and stand. For 500.00 You could prob get the whole setup. But money doesnt grow on trees for everyone. At least not me, So I can see wanting that one back. And I say it will fit in your storage better then there right? lol
Any plant suggestions???
Rush81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to aquarium advice and good luck with your fish room!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Rush. I've priced some 50 g tanks at petsmart and they sell one for $159 for a top fin kit. As for a stand, I can build my own for pennies on the dollar compared to what they charge for one. The filter system the guy showed me was about $45.00 and a pump he showed me would run about $20 . I once bought a filter system and pumps from a guy getting out of the hobby, but, after the big D, I can't find the stuff. So it looks like for about $100 I can get my stand built, with shelves and nice doors, plus the filtration system. Either way it's not a bad deal at all.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com