New guy with 4 tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jojobeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, hello all!

Secondly, I am not afraid to admit I have multiple tank syndrome and am a fish killer (not on purpose but because of ignorance, and my kill count is VERY low). I just hope my wife doesn't get out in the garage much until I have most of my stuff purchased and running.

I have been reading your posts diligently for a couple weeks. Of course I had already set up a planted 20G and stocked it with fish before reading anything. Oops. Deficiencies noted: bad lighting, can be exposed to direct sunlight, put three male gourami in one tank, the golden will outgrow for sure, probably didn't let the tank cycle (although it was running fishless for over two months without any additives [NH3, starter bacteria from a cycled tank, etc...]), I have no test kit or ferts... the list goes on.

Planned corrections: DIY compact fluorescent upgrade posted by Mr. Limpet, so I should get ~89W for the 20G and stock it with any kind of high to low light plant, baby tears are my favorite. Future plans on a CO2 system, need a regulator, tubing, reactor and bubble counter (CO2 tank already purchased for home beer brewing!). Most likely giving the golden gourami away to friend with a community 55G. Buying a test kit and Flourish today if my LFS has it.

I am currently cycling a 55G, fishless, in hopes to add African cichlids. I would love to pick some brains of current A. cichlid keepers. I had Africans over 15 years ago in a 55G and never quite understood their needs, but have a much better grasp now, compatibility and correct water conditions is what I desire for them.

I have plans for a 38G community tank with kribs, or S.A. cichlids like rams.

Finally, I have an 80G H tank I have no idea what to do with. I had a beloved oscar in it years ago and he grew to over 14 inches rather quick. I don't want a big fish in a 48 inch long tank again.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Looking forward to getting back into caring for my favorite pets.

When I have time I can upload pictures.

-M

Welcome to the forum! You will find everything you need to be successful fish keeper here. The people are great and they answer any question no matter how dumb it might be. :)

Look forward to seeing your tanks!

welcome aboard. Best of luck with keeping the wife out of the garage :) sounds like you have done this before with the oscar so I'm sure your not a total noob.

I posted a front and side view of my semi planted 20G in an album. I would like to add 3 more fish, two more corys to go with the existing pair, and a small pleco. Anyone advise against this as I am nearing capacity, if not there already.

Just ordered the compact fluorescent kit Mr. Limpet suggested in the DIY thread, should get it by the weekend and have it set up same day. Looking forward to the baby tears growing.

Bought my API test kit and was mostly pleased with the results. Zeros accross the board, but the pH was a tad off at 6.6, PWC and will restest tomorrow. Dosed the liquid ferts I bought, hoping that helps the plants.

-M

Back
Top Bottom