New Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffdart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. I'm the new guy here. I am not new to aquariums but I don't currently have any. I have been a member of the Poison Dart Frog community for a while now. I am going to be setting up a freshwater planted tank really soon.

Cool! Welcome to AA! :welcome: So do you have any idea on the size or fish that you'd want? Also do you have any pictures of your frogs? Because they sound really cool!

Thanks,, I want to do a 90 tall with discus and tetras. I use to have a 100 gallon but space was non exsistant. The footprint of a 90 tall will work great and allow me a good amount of tank space to work with. I will try to get a few pics uploaded here later today.

As I stated earlier, here are a few frogs of mine. These are all in the Oophaga Pumilio group.

29z7t7b.jpg

315yebt.jpg

nzliro.jpg

20kyrft.jpg

122esg3.jpg

33veq6e.jpg

jeffdart said:
As I stated earlier, here are a few frogs of mine. These are all in the Oophaga Pumilio group.

Those are beautiful! They are only poisonous in the wild because of the food they eat. Right?

Those are beautiful! They are only poisonous in the wild because of the food they eat. Right?

That is correct. Some wild caught retain some poison but not enough to worry about. All captive bred frogs are poison free. Most wild dart frogs aren't poisinous enough to harm a human.

Haha that is sick!!! How big is your habitat for them because it looks really realistic!!! What do they eat in the wild and captivity?

They are housed in 20 gallon highs. All the plants are real. The frogs I am working with raise there own young from egg to froglet. Each vivarium is equiped with a automated misting nozzle that runs three times a day for 30 seconds. Each viv has its own supply of microfauna which help control decaying plant and organic material. These frogs are pretty small they are about the size of my thumbnail. Some are smaller. In the wild they feed and numerouse insects, mites and such. Anything they can swallow. I feed mine flightless fruit flies which I culture myself. They also feed on springtails and dwarf woodlice.

Micro fauna are tiny bugs and organisms that feed on decaying organic material. In return the frogs feed off of the fauna. I only house pairs to each viv. Males are very teritorial and females are very copetitive whith eachother. This can lead to aggression and death. Also you don't want to mix different species and site locations together. This can lead to hybridizing, which is a big no no in the frog community. We are trying to conserve them due to decimation in the wild.

Wow that is awesome of you dude. Could they ever be released into the wild again? Haha why would you want to get into fish if you have poisen dart frogs!! Haha

Maybe someday when they are needed. I started with fish. I always had a fish tank when I was younger. I think a freshwater planted tank is what's missing in my life right now.

Welcome to the forum! Love the frogs. I have always liked dart frogs, but I have been a bit intimidated by keeping amphibians. I stuck to reptiles instead.

Back
Top Bottom