new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yenga80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all, my name is andy. I have just recently had interest in owning a saltwater tank. Since snorkeling in the bahamas last month over some beautiful reefs I have wanted to start one at home. My last aquariums were fresh water when i was young. I have been doing a lot of reading online and in books. Right now i am reading saltwater aquarium models by John Tullock. Good info so far. My goal is to start either a 180 or 210 gallon tank and slowly build it up over a year or so. I want to definitely take it slow and do it right. Any advise out there for reef tank owners what size works best? I have read in John's book about light travel through water and the deeper the water the harder the light penetration. And with coral, etc. light is very important. Now in his book it does not mention LED lights only MH. With LED is light penetration better. Will a 30 inch depth versus 24 inch make much difference? Thanks for the input and future answers!
Andy

Hi Andy, and welcome to the AA forum!:welcome:I can't advise you on the questions you asked, since the largest tank I ever had was a 125 Saltwater only. As of now, I am strictly FW. My advice would be to go the saltwater forum and post your questions there, since the really knowledgeable aquarists re. reef and lighting, etc. are going to be over there. But I am glad you joined, and welcome again.

Back
Top Bottom