New here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yote

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been kinda lurking and reading for a couple of weeks now and finally decided I'd introduce myself.
My names Joe,but friends call me Yote.Not really new to aquariums but new to planted tanks. I help at my LFS to pay for and help others with the hobby.Just don't know much about the plants.( usually kill anything green by just touching it ).
I kept a 125 gallon full reef for 5 years,until the wife decided she wanted to put in new hardwood floors. No was I going to move 125 gallons of saltwater with 300 pounds of live rock,so I sold the tank.
4 weeks ago after I came from a trip to one of our wholesalers,I found a 90gal tank,stand,substrate,filters,light,pretty much everything except water,fish,and plants in my truck.Can't complain since it was all free to me.So now I've got a 90gal freshwater tank with a few fish and plants sitting in my livingroom.
The fish include 3 Discus,some Rasboras,Cardinal Tetras,a couple of Cories.
Not sure of the plants except for a Cardinal,some Money Wort,and some different swords.

Now here is where I'm stuck.
I have a fixture with 2X 250 HQI halides.Great for a reef,but I'm maybe a little much for a planted tank.
What are your thoughts.
And I'll try to post some pictures when I get home from the LFS tonight.

Yote said:
I've been kinda lurking and reading for a couple of weeks now and finally decided I'd introduce myself.
My names Joe,but friends call me Yote.Not really new to aquariums but new to planted tanks. I help at my LFS to pay for and help others with the hobby.Just don't know much about the plants.( usually kill anything green by just touching it ).
I kept a 125 gallon full reef for 5 years,until the wife decided she wanted to put in new hardwood floors. No was I going to move 125 gallons of saltwater with 300 pounds of live rock,so I sold the tank.
4 weeks ago after I came from a trip to one of our wholesalers,I found a 90gal tank,stand,substrate,filters,light,pretty much everything except water,fish,and plants in my truck.Can't complain since it was all free to me.So now I've got a 90gal freshwater tank with a few fish and plants sitting in my livingroom.
The fish include 3 Discus,some Rasboras,Cardinal Tetras,a couple of Cories.
Not sure of the plants except for a Cardinal,some Money Wort,and some different swords.

Now here is where I'm stuck.
I have a fixture with 2X 250 HQI halides.Great for a reef,but I'm maybe a little much for a planted tank.
What are your thoughts.
And I'll try to post some pictures when I get home from the LFS tonight.

Nice deal! I would kill for a 90G lol that is a lot of light. Hmm maybe try using both, but raising it higher above the tank? Or you could just use one and hang it lower.

Thanks Y'all.
The bulbs are old ( 1.5 years ) 10,000K's but I have 2 new 6500K lamps coming in next week.
Got a lot of plants coming in tomorrow.Just not sure what until they get here.Was just told they were on the way and to be ready to do a lot of planting.So we'll see tomorrow.

Thanks Y'all.
The bulbs are old ( 1.5 years ) 10,000K's but I have 2 new 6500K lamps coming in next week.
Got a lot of plants coming in tomorrow.Just not sure what until they get here.Was just told they were on the way and to be ready to do a lot of planting.So we'll see tomorrow.

Awesome! Cant wait to see some pics! :brows: haha

Anybody care to explain to me just how to post pictures?:confused:

Tried the photobucket route but keep getting told that is a no-no.

If you have discus, you don't want to over power the light, they do not like bright light, as well as lots of plants do not do well in the long run, because your temp should be at about 84 F for your discus to do well.

For the posting pictures go to your profile and then click photos (it's at the bottom of your profile) then you should see something saying "upload" click it from there and it should work

If you have discus, you don't want to over power the light, they do not like bright light, as well as lots of plants do not do well in the long run, because your temp should be at about 84 F for your discus to do well.

For the posting pictures go to your profile and then click photos (it's at the bottom of your profile) then you should see something saying "upload" click it from there and it should work

Those facts aren't lost on me. The Discus I have are from the planted tank at the LFS I help at.

Try this again.

Attachments

• Discus.jpg
    Discus.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Cardinal plant & Cherry Barb.jpg
    Cardinal plant & Cherry Barb.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 178
Here a couple more picture from tonight.

Attachments

• Almost full tank.jpg
    Almost full tank.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Hungry.jpg
    Hungry.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Marbled Queen Sword.jpg
    Marbled Queen Sword.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Torquiose Discus.jpg
    Torquiose Discus.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 97
Stunning :) I'd want you working at my LFS.
I've always wanted to work at a LFS but they never seem to be hiring. Staff stay for the long haul it would seem.

Stunning :) I'd want you working at my LFS.
I've always wanted to work at a LFS but they never seem to be hiring. Staff stay for the long haul it would seem.

Thanks.
I also do tank setups and maintenance. For both reef and fresh. It's just something I enjoy doing,plus it helps put some change in my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom