Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New here.

I've been kinda lurking and reading for a couple of weeks now and finally decided I'd introduce myself.
My names Joe,but friends call me Yote.Not really new to aquariums but new to planted tanks. I help at my LFS to pay for and help others with the hobby.Just don't know much about the plants.( usually kill anything green by just touching it ).
I kept a 125 gallon full reef for 5 years,until the wife decided she wanted to put in new hardwood floors. No was I going to move 125 gallons of saltwater with 300 pounds of live rock,so I sold the tank.
4 weeks ago after I came from a trip to one of our wholesalers,I found a 90gal tank,stand,substrate,filters,light,pretty much everything except water,fish,and plants in my truck.Can't complain since it was all free to me.So now I've got a 90gal freshwater tank with a few fish and plants sitting in my livingroom.
The fish include 3 Discus,some Rasboras,Cardinal Tetras,a couple of Cories.
Not sure of the plants except for a Cardinal,some Money Wort,and some different swords.

Now here is where I'm stuck.
I have a fixture with 2X 250 HQI halides.Great for a reef,but I'm maybe a little much for a planted tank.
What are your thoughts.
And I'll try to post some pictures when I get home from the LFS tonight.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Welcome to AA!

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yote
I've been kinda lurking and reading for a couple of weeks now and finally decided I'd introduce myself.
My names Joe,but friends call me Yote.Not really new to aquariums but new to planted tanks. I help at my LFS to pay for and help others with the hobby.Just don't know much about the plants.( usually kill anything green by just touching it ).
I kept a 125 gallon full reef for 5 years,until the wife decided she wanted to put in new hardwood floors. No was I going to move 125 gallons of saltwater with 300 pounds of live rock,so I sold the tank.
4 weeks ago after I came from a trip to one of our wholesalers,I found a 90gal tank,stand,substrate,filters,light,pretty much everything except water,fish,and plants in my truck.Can't complain since it was all free to me.So now I've got a 90gal freshwater tank with a few fish and plants sitting in my livingroom.
The fish include 3 Discus,some Rasboras,Cardinal Tetras,a couple of Cories.
Not sure of the plants except for a Cardinal,some Money Wort,and some different swords.

Now here is where I'm stuck.
I have a fixture with 2X 250 HQI halides.Great for a reef,but I'm maybe a little much for a planted tank.
What are your thoughts.
And I'll try to post some pictures when I get home from the LFS tonight.
Nice deal! I would kill for a 90G lol that is a lot of light. Hmm maybe try using both, but raising it higher above the tank? Or you could just use one and hang it lower.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, what is the kelvin of the lights? Its best to have lights close to 6500k for planted tanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #5

Thanks Y'all.
The bulbs are old ( 1.5 years ) 10,000K's but I have 2 new 6500K lamps coming in next week.
Got a lot of plants coming in tomorrow.Just not sure what until they get here.Was just told they were on the way and to be ready to do a lot of planting.So we'll see tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yote View Post
Thanks Y'all.
The bulbs are old ( 1.5 years ) 10,000K's but I have 2 new 6500K lamps coming in next week.
Got a lot of plants coming in tomorrow.Just not sure what until they get here.Was just told they were on the way and to be ready to do a lot of planting.So we'll see tomorrow.
Awesome! Cant wait to see some pics! haha
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #7

Anybody care to explain to me just how to post pictures?

Tried the photobucket route but keep getting told that is a no-no.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you have discus, you don't want to over power the light, they do not like bright light, as well as lots of plants do not do well in the long run, because your temp should be at about 84 F for your discus to do well.

For the posting pictures go to your profile and then click photos (it's at the bottom of your profile) then you should see something saying "upload" click it from there and it should work
Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

when posting hit go advanced button
than scroll down the page youll see add attatchments
Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbree13 View Post
If you have discus, you don't want to over power the light, they do not like bright light, as well as lots of plants do not do well in the long run, because your temp should be at about 84 F for your discus to do well.

For the posting pictures go to your profile and then click photos (it's at the bottom of your profile) then you should see something saying "upload" click it from there and it should work
Those facts aren't lost on me. The Discus I have are from the planted tank at the LFS I help at.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | New girl »