Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New here!

Hey all! I'm just getting started in the aquarium world, but I have a 20 gallon freshwater going with a figure 8 puffer, a ghost knife, a cory catfish, and a few tetra's. Testing my water and so far all is well but learning how to keep the ammonia down is hard. My ghost knife doesn't like light so I've been keeping my blue LEDs on but I want to see what's going on in there and see the beautiful colors of my figure 8 so I'm going to have to get some hiding places in there for the ghost knife so I can turn on the ballasts and light it up. I also have a 14 gallon biocube started but all it has in it right now is some live sand and a fiji live rock. Water levels are good becuase there's nothing in it really but I'm thinking I want to go reef with this since it's small. I may start with a carpet anemone and a clown fish, and go from there.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA!

Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! i know this isnt whatt you want to hear but your tanks stock isnt appropriate. figure 8 puffer, a ghost knife, a cory catfish, and a few tetra's.
first, Cory's need a minimum of 4 and tetras 6, and if you have different kinds you need 6 of each, they are schooling. The ghost knife- can you clarify what kind?clown, black, brown???
The puffer I believe is brackish, and also is aggressive. Did you cycle your tank? If so how? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA! We hope ya enjoy
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
to AA! We hope ya enjoy
What he said ^^^^^

Welcome

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieKlein View Post
Welcome to AA! i know this isnt whatt you want to hear but your tanks stock isnt appropriate. figure 8 puffer, a ghost knife, a cory catfish, and a few tetra's.
first, Cory's need a minimum of 4 and tetras 6, and if you have different kinds you need 6 of each, they are schooling. The ghost knife- can you clarify what kind?clown, black, brown???
The puffer I believe is brackish, and also is aggressive. Did you cycle your tank? If so how? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

I have not cycled the tank and I most likely put the cart before the horse so to speak, although I do have water test strips to tell me if my levels are ok and that's how I know the ammonia level is a little elevated. I plan to get a more in depth water tester that test exact levels of every level.

I have 5 neon tetras in there, and my ghost knife fish is black with the little white stripe down the middle. The puffer seems to be getting along with everyone. I do know they are brackish, but didn't know this until I had already purchased it and did some research. The pet store had it in freshwater and told me nothing.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The black ghost knife gets very big, well over a foot, and gets aggressive. The puffer will eventually need the brackish to live, and will age and get aggressive. Also, a good test kit is the API master test kit, liqued
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

+1 on the Ghostknife getting big. And Big fish Eat little fish,

Fig8s are more social. I have them. 3 infact alltogether with Blue rams and Albino Bristle Nose Pleco's.
They are on the low end of brackish. but can take fresh water.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #10

I suppose I better get a bigger tank,lol. I really like my puffer and it's really curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
+1 on the Ghostknife getting big. And Big fish Eat little fish,

Fig8s are more social. I have them. 3 infact alltogether with Blue rams and Albino Bristle Nose Pleco's.
They are on the low end of brackish. but can take fresh water.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello: | Hello »