New Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mememustache

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I just started today! About two weeks ago, I got my 10 gallon tank. We set everything set up, followed the directions that came with the tank, and let it flow for a few days.

Afterwards, we went back to Petsmart, and I picked out 5 neon tetras and 2 powder blue dwarf gouramis. They were doing great for a week. They are being fed tropical flakes. Just once they started to settle in, one of the gouramis died.

We went to our local petstore, and got some test strips. All of the results were fine, so I thought it must have been stress. I let the rest of thw fish get back into schedule for a week.

Yesterday, we went to the best petstore nearby, about 30 minutes away, and found a replacement fish. I picked out a sunset/honey gourami that was really peaceful and chill. Once I released him into the tank, the other, bigger dwarf gourami started going after the smaller one. Is this normal for new fish to be treated link this? Should I take the attacker out and put it in our other 65 gallon tank? If i do, I will get more of the honey gouramis. The new one hasn't been hurt, and I want to keep it that way.
Also, some of the neons are chasing each other around. It looks like fighting, but it might be mating. They are not actually hurting each other, either.
Just trying to make sure everything's going to end up ok.

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new tank.

One I would recommend is picking up solution/vial test kits like the API FW master test kit. The cardboard strips can under read.

Thanks Delapool! Where do you get the vial test at? I don't think I saw it at the store in town.

They're very popular: any Petco or Petsmart should carry them. If you can't find one, they can be ordered off Amazon, too.

Oh, and welcome! :welcome:

I'll go look for one today... Maybe they weren't in Stock before. Thanks!!

So I just got the tests today, and everything came up fine. I think the gouramis are starting to get better towards each end other, but yesterday my tetras lost color, and today the colors back. They seem fine. Any help?

So I just got the tests today, and everything came up fine. I think the gouramis are starting to get better towards each end other, but yesterday my tetras lost color, and today the colors back. They seem fine. Any help?

Do you have details on the test results?
I've heard that it is not uncommon to see that behavior in dwarf gouramis and keeping them singly would be preferred.
Here is a link to a page with several articles worth reading.
Welcome to AA!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom