New Here 90 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90corner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank for about two years. Had a 29 gallon before. My 90 gallon has been a workout from the beggining. First i had insufficient lighting and now i can't seem to keep my fish alive. A few nice corals, had a large tomato clown for about two years which i blamed for killing everything i presented to the tank. Caught him on Friday and kept him in the tank overnite in a trap, woke up in the morning and he was dead. Bought a royal gramma to test the waters and he died in two days. Tested the water at the fish store and everything was just right. My tank drove me to join this forum to get some advice.

Welcome. We need to know what your parameters were for:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphates
Calcium
pH
SG
How did you cycle the tank? What's in there now?
Also welcome. Sorry to hear about your fish.

Thanks

Hopefully i can gain some knowledge that will motivate me to post some pics of 90 corner. Its been tough trying to keep my fish alive. No current in the water, good lab results. Tonite i am keepimg an eye on wter temp. so far 80 degrees. Thanks for the warm welcome, highly appreciated.

I know you are asking me all these questions but to be honest i just take the water to the fish store and they tell me what to do. I was just there two hours ago with my water and they mentioned everything was fine. The nitrates were OK. They are the ones that mentioned to look at the temp. They already are aware of my long battles. I even checked the submersible pumps for my UV light and the main pump for any current leaks. I thought i had low circulation and so i bought a #3 fan which created a cyclone inside the tank. Had to get rid of it.

So you don't have any test kits of your own? I really, really reccomend you get kits for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. And a hydrometer or refractometer.

Hey Mitch, Thanks for your help so far. I do own a hydrometer but never have i bought a test kit. I will buy one today and do my own testing. I checked the temperture last nite and this morning and it has not changed from 80 degrees. My corals seem to be doing just fine. I will also buy another fish (firefly) to see how he holds up. I suppose the kits come complete to test all you mentioned. Thanks

when you buy one, get a decent liquid test kit. API makes a good one. They'll run you anywhere between $20-30 depending on where you get it, but its an investment that's well worth every penny. Being able to test your water whenever you need it and get actual results other than "its ok" is a big part in maintaining a healthy tank

Back
Top Bottom