New here :) Acronyms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexzander1026

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I'm Kevin and I've been obsessing over starting a reef tank for the past month or so. I've been doing a lot of reading lately and I keep coming across the same acronyms. I've been able to solve some of the mysteries (I think). Is LPS, Large Polyp Stony coral? And SPS, Small Polyp Stony coral? Another that I can't seem to figure out however is LFS. Can anyone help out with that one? Thanks. In regards to the acronyms, I think that it would be really helpful if there were a 'sticky' in this forum that lists all of the typically used acronyms and what they mean. That would be awesome considering that I'm still clueless on quite a few other ones.

As for my interests.... I'm dying to start a 55gal reef tank. I think it's a good size to start with :D. I am also buying a 10gal tank to use as a QT (yet another acronym :) ). I also want to breed copepods, amphipods, and brine shrimp for my future carnivores. Can they be bred together in the same tank?

As for fishes... I would like: Chalk Bass, Royal Gramma, Yellowhead Jawfish, Splendid Dottyback, Flame Angelfish, Banggai Cardinalfish, Ocellaris Clownfish, Flasher Wrasse, Redspotted Blenny, and a Valentini Puffer.
I would also like to add some: Harlequin Shrimp (with some feeder Brittle Stars), Cleaner Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Fire Shrimp.
And I'd like some clams, snails, and chitons.

I would love some input about these animals. As far as I can tell they should do fine together (but I've been wrong before :) ).

Thanks for having such an awesome site for info and thanks for helping me! Looking forward to posting some pics in the future :D

LFS is local fish store. Preferably of the privately owned kind. Please cater to these as best you can. Bill

Back
Top Bottom