New here, and a lil advice (Freshwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olorin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, Tom from San Marcos CA

Here is my tank setup:

37 Gallon Tank with Plastic Plants and LED lighting. Penguin 200 Power Filter and 1 Airstone.1 Medium Angel1 Pearl Gourami2 Red Tail Sharks (Olive body)10 Neon Tetras3 Red Eye Tetras3 Zebra Danios Do I need more Red Eyes? Is this too many fish? The Gourami is chasing and nipping the Red Eyes but not the Neons, Maybe because the neons are in a larger group? Thanks, and nice site!

Olorin said:
Hi, Tom from San Marcos CA

Here is my tank setup:

37 Gallon Tank with Plastic Plants and LED lighting. Penguin 200 Power Filter and 1 Airstone.1 Medium Angel1 Pearl Gourami2 Red Tail Sharks (Olive body)10 Neon Tetras3 Red Eye Tetras3 Zebra Danios Do I need more Red Eyes? Is this too many fish? The Gourami is chasing and nipping the Red Eyes but not the Neons, Maybe because the neons are in a larger group? Thanks, and nice site!

Hi and welcome to AA!
The gourami is chasing the tetras because he thinks they are in his territory. You can try rearranging you tank to disturb the territories. Just keep an eye on him.
You will need to keep a close eye on the angel and the gourami. They may or may not get along once the angel matures.
The minimum tank size for a red tail shark is 55gal. They get to 5 inches and mean! There should only be one per tank they get aggressive towards their own kind. IMO (in my opinion) they should be rehomed.
The red eye tetras and the danios need schools of at least 6 of their own kind. Schooling fish feel more comfortable with larger schools and will get stressed if there schools are not large enough. 6 seems to be the magic number.
So IMO the sharks need to go and the two schools need do be increase by 3.

Thanks! I should clarify:

Everyone except the Neon and redeye tetras have been together for months. The Gourami and Angel get along well, and so do the sharks.

The Danios were originally 6 but 3 of them died the first week, and the remaining 3 have been doing great ever since. Should I still get more?

The fish shop told me that 3 Red Eyes would be fine but I think I'll get at least 4 or 5 more now.

Olorin said:
Thanks! I should clarify:

Everyone except the Neon and redeye tetras have been together for months. The Gourami and Angel get along well, and so do the sharks.

The Danios were originally 6 but 3 of them died the first week, and the remaining 3 have been doing great ever since. Should I still get more?

The fish shop told me that 3 Red Eyes would be fine but I think I'll get at least 4 or 5 more now.

They will be a lot happier, less stressed and will school better if kept in 6+.
I would still keep a close eye on the gourami and angel. Most fish sold are babies/juveniles. Once they reach maturity fish they once got along with may be seen as threats and they will get aggressive. Angels are not overly peaceful fish but do work in community set ups depending on their tank mates.
The sharks will out grow your tank. They will reach maturity and soon start to claim territories. One shark may claim the whole tank (because it is too small) and terrorize the the other and all the other fish. I have one in a 70g tank and that is nearly too small IMO.

I'm sorry if I come across as rude at all. :)

Hi, Olorin, and welcome to AA!:welcome: Just a little aside, and that is, you can't believe everything they tell you in fish stores. Some are extremely knowledgeable, but most aren't. But momma.oftwo is right about schooling fish. I presently have 6 red eyes myself, but I know I need about 4 -6 more for them to be really happy. Most schooling fish need their numbers to be 6 - 8+ to avoid stressing them. I suggest you do some research about the sharks, to satisfy yourself that you are getting good advice here (which you are, BTW). Google them, or look them up on LiveAquaria, or something.

But, most of all..... have fun in your new hobby!:flowers:

+1

tetras need 6 but 8 is great and even more is better

you definitely have to rehome the sharks, even 1 would not be a good fit in that tank.... they have sudden growth spurts and their aggression level grows along with their body.... mine ate all my danios

Thanks for all the advice! I rehomed the Gourami already and got 5 more Red Eyes. By the way they are "balloon" red eyes, and the sharks are rainbow sharks I think.. that pet store didn't have very good labeling.

I'll rehome the sharks as soon as possible.

Can I get companions for the Angel, and if so, should they be the same size or can they be younger? He is pretty big, about 2".

Mumma.of.two I didn't think it rude at all. I'm here to learn!

Olorin said:
Thanks for all the advice! I rehomed the Gourami already and got 5 more Red Eyes. By the way they are "balloon" red eyes, and the sharks are rainbow sharks I think.. that pet store didn't have very good labeling.

I'll rehome the sharks as soon as possible.

Can I get companions for the Angel, and if so, should they be the same size or can they be younger? He is pretty big, about 2".

Mumma.of.two I didn't think it rude at all. I'm here to learn!

If you'd like to post a pic we can I'd the sharks if your interested.
IMO the angel is fine by itself. If you have 2 they might pair then become aggressive towards your other fish.

Thanks I did upload some pics in my profile, but not the sharks. They won't come out of the castle after I put in the new Tetras. I do have a pic of the little spotted fish that scavenges on the bottom, I'm not sure what he is exactly.

Olorin said:
Thanks I did upload some pics in my profile, but not the sharks. They won't come out of the castle after I put in the new Tetras. I do have a pic of the little spotted fish that scavenges on the bottom, I'm not sure what he is exactly.

The spotted fish is a Cory of some sort. Not sure what kind. From the head the shark looks like a red tail shark. Does it have red fins and tail or just a red tail?

Olorin said:
It has red fins and tail, and the body is kind of between a grey and olive green.

Ok sounds like a rainbow shark. Not as nasty as a red tail shark but still territorial and needs to be kept with none of it's own kind and in a 55g minimum.

I'm glad I asked here. The 2 seem to get along fine with each other and everyone else, I had no idea they would change later. The redeyes and neons seem happier today, they are eating and swimming around more. The balloon red eyes swim differently, they hang around and sort of wiggle in place, like they are having a seizure.

Olorin said:
I'm glad I asked here. The 2 seem to get along fine with each other and everyone else, I had no idea they would change later. The redeyes and neons seem happier today, they are eating and swimming around more. The balloon red eyes swim differently, they hang around and sort of wiggle in place, like they are having a seizure.

Lol. Ballon fish often have trouble swimming because of there body shape. Unfortunately they are bred to basically be deformed to look that way.

Yes +1 to all advice given here. And good for you, taking action and rehoming the fish, and bumping up the schools.

I looked at the photos, and oh my god!! Your angel looks almost EXACTLY like mine. I dont have a great picture of mine, but i swear they are brother/sister lol
From the other side, mine also has the black splotch near the back fin!

Well I rehomed the sharks, but one of my neons was floating upside down near the surface this morning. I now have 8 neons and 8 balloon red eyes. One of the red eyes stays off by himself while the other 7 congregate together most of the time.

I had buildup of white slimy coating on the inside of the glass and along the airline. Is it ok to just wipe it off and let it float around the tank until the filter gets it?

Cheers

Olorin said:
Well I rehomed the sharks, but one of my neons was floating upside down near the surface this morning. I now have 8 neons and 8 balloon red eyes. One of the red eyes stays off by himself while the other 7 congregate together most of the time.

I had buildup of white slimy coating on the inside of the glass and along the airline. Is it ok to just wipe it off and let it float around the tank until the filter gets it?

Cheers

Good on you! That's great news :D
Your right just to wipe it off if it's bothering you.

Back
Top Bottom