new here and got a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peps

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,
hope wherever you are in the world you are well?
I have been keeping fish for a few years now and bounced around from tank to tank.
I took a break for a couple of years and got back into it when my fiance bought me the fluval edge. Great little tank and looks fantastic.
I then upgraded to a 140Litre tank at christmas and been having such great success.
The issue i have is i am losing fish(mainly guppies) from the same disease and i dont know what it is.
The stomach shrinks and they flash when they are a few days before they die.
I want to create an environment where by i can keep live breaders and i have a living, growing tank.

what am i doing wrong and what is the disease?

cheers

peps
:banghead:

great, thats good knowledge.
dont think it tells me why as my water is good, with all levels being perfect.
will keep trying.

thank you

Guppy Disease

Good morning Peps...

The flashing or the fish rubbing on gravel or decorations is typical of a skin disease.

Here are some symptoms:

Dull or grey looking skin color.
Cloudy eyes.
Loss of appetite.
Slimy looking skin.
Fins look ragged or frayed.
Labored breathing.
No energy, lethargic.

I would recommend doing a 25 to 30 percent water change and focus on vaccuuming the gravel. If you have parasites, this is a good way to remove them. Also, add a little standard aquarium salt to the water change water. A teaspoon for every five gallons of treated water should do.

I periodically run a little salt through my Fancy Guppy tanks. The salt has a calming affect on the fish and promotes healthy skin and helps the immune system.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Salt Use in Aquariums

on the API salt it's 1 tablespoon

Hello all...

I used to use a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt in my Livebearer tanks, but have heavily planted tanks and found the plants didn't do as well with the larger amount. I also keep several varieties of Corydoras and had heard a number of years ago that they're sensitive to salt. So, am a little conservative when I use it.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom