Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New here and needing advice

Hello! Canadian fairly new to fishkeeping here. As a child my dad and I tried (killed promptly) a tank of fish, so as an adult was a little afraid as I treat all my pets like family and get upset when I lose one... Have had a fluval 15g bowfront for a year and a half now and just purchased a 55g to upgrade to (slowly!)

I've successfully kept 7/8 glofish tetras and 3 panda cories alive in this time, but have lost many neon tetras (down to 2 now, just waiting for them to pass too basically as I wont bother fighting the mouth growths/bent tails anymore, too common I hear?) and guppies (all seem to get bloated and frayed tails, then pass away, currently down to 1).

I'm seeing some concerns with a couple of the glofish now, and am wanting to eradicate anything I'm doing wrong to shorten fishies life spans before I expand to a bigger tank. One glofish (orange) seems to be recently floating more head down/tail rising when not in motion. Another glofish (green) seems to tilt sideways a bit when not in motion. And I have one that was smallest when I got it that grew HUGE and has had a very large belly for months (no pineconing or signs of distress).

Use Api freshwater test kit, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, Nitrate ~30ppm. Utilize Prime, Stressguard, Melafix and aquarium salt regularly. Have Kanaplex and Sulfaplex on hand.

Any words of wisdom are welcomed!!!

Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to thew community.

Check out the link on "getting started" in my signature.

The Aquarium Advice article link will give you a good basis for water keeping. The nitrification "cycle" is the key for stable water and fish which are happy.

By getting the water stable and the tank cycled, you will be able to get some of the symptoms you mention reduced/ eliminated. Sometimes there are just sick fish you bring home. But often it is the toxic water parameters which causes stress and increases illness and death.

One of the most useful things I learned was not to rinse filter media in chlorinated tap water. It kills the beneficial bacteria (BB) which make the tank cycle work.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com