New here and suffering from MTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roccus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all...my name is Joe and I am a fish keeping junkie...not as bad as some.. but the infection is there...

I'm a 58 year old machinist /mechanic from Eastern Massachusetts.... My screen name comes from a fish I dearly love...The Striped bass... until a few decades ago it's scientific name was Roccus Saxatillis...some one discovered a fish else where with the same and renamed my beloved fish Morone Saxatillis...
I've been keeping fish in some capacity for 50 odd years... until last April it was all fresh water and ponds...
I've always wanted to have a Salt water tank but never seemed to have the time or courage to "go for it".... My wife gave me a 65 gallon long for my birthday last February.. so I studied and acquired enough Knowledge to give it a try.... I built a 30 gallon sump/filter in my basement/shop.. the return lines to the display run through the wall upstairs ( in my foyer) and supply the tank with water.. the tank houses live rock...Zoa's.. soft corals.. a bubble coral and fish.. peppermint shrimp assorted snails and hermit crabs.. I'm still learning ( mostly from minor mistakes) which is the main reason I landed here..... I'll go into more details about that tank in another post..

I currently have 2 fresh water tanks... one is a 16 gallon community tank with 5 Rasboras... 2 Green glow tetras... one albino Corey....2 ( mean spirited) rosey barbs and a small Chinese algae eater...this tank once housed a Marble angel fish... she now has her own "digs" in a 30 gallon tank with a algae eater that also out grew the original tank.. the clean up crew ( not that she leaves any food) is a pair of corries...All the fresh tanks have live plants( and are heavily planted) and HOB filtration.....20% water changes are done weekly with mix of R/O/D/I water and treated tap water ( to retain some buffers).. I have a D/I system and slop sink in my shop basement to facilllitate the water changes... I also have a water "testing" station for both fresh and salt water down there as well...
I also keep an 8' X 10' ornamental pond... it houses about 18 gold fish( not counting this years spawn).. several frogs and copious snails.. water lilies and marginal plants...

I don't have any pictures at the moment as this is a new computer ( company furnished) and I have all pictures on a memory stick at home...I'll post in time..

Back
Top Bottom