New here, but not to fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

no_fin_nipping

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been a Freshwater fishkeeper since 1971, when I was in the 2nd grade. Dad had a 29 gallon tank with a slate bottom and steel sides. I got my own tank to place on the stand below the 29.
I started with a couple of Lyertail "Dalmatian" Mollies. I don't have to tell you what happened next??? A few months later I brought my first dozen or so fry to sell to the LFS. I was hooked! I remember getting 5¢ each!
As time went on, things got more serious. I'm pretty sure it was 1974 or 1975 I bought my 2nd tank, my first all-glass tank. My "molly farm" thrived with a 10 and a 20 gallon tank. As a teen in the early 1980's I had six 10's and four 20's (some high, some long). All things must come to an end. I got my own place when I was 20 in 1984. Only one tank came with me in my shared apartment. I kept another 10 going with Dad's, as I always did. The other 8 tanks went into storage. In 1987, my parents sold the house I grew up in and purchased a much smaller house. By then the old slate tanks were rusty and leaky. Dad did keep a 10 going at the new place and they did allow me to store my other 7 tanks. Dad passed away in 1990. My mother had no interest in fish, so there were 8 tanks she allowed me to keep in the basement of her house. At the end of this month, we have a closing on her house. She's moving to a condo complex (all 1-2 bedrooms) exclusively for those over 55. The tanks have come to my house. They are all OK. I'm making certain they all hold water still. There's air pumps that haven't been plugged in for over 20 years, but seems they still work... most of the equipment is OK.
Maybe it is sentimentality right now, but I want to start breeding again. I'm looking for a source of quality stock. Most of the fish I see in the stores are pretty lousy looking. Start with Wal-Mart mollies, end up with Wal-Mart mollies. I did well with mollies (as if it was impossible not to) as well as moons and swordtails.
I'm looking at Aquabid, but I want to find quality livebearers that I can breed. I think I've found a few interesting things, mostly junk. I'd like to find more. Perhaps some of you are breeders? Perhaps you can refer me to some quality breeders? I don't want ugly inbred fish from the mall or Wal-Mart, which sadly a lot of online vendors are peddling. Thanks.

Welcome aboard U.S.S. AA! ^^ Don't mind my silly self, and its good to see yet another long time aquatic lover joining our midst.

Back
Top Bottom