New here, dont know too much, looking to learn!!e

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gman91189

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there, new guy here, got a 55g tank, from craigslist for $300 :)
Came with everything INCLUDING the fish! :)
Not a total noob, but feel like it, I've had it for a couple weeks now, did a couple water changes already so i know how to at least keep them alive, so i must be doing something good
Stumbled across this, thought I'd join

Welcome! I hope everyone here will help you with all your questions! Happy fish keeping!

Gman91189 said:
Hey there, new guy here, got a 55g tank, from craigslist for $300 :)
Came with everything INCLUDING the fish! :)
Not a total noob, but feel like it, I've had it for a couple weeks now, did a couple water changes already so i know how to at least keep them alive, so i must be doing something good
Stumbled across this, thought I'd join

Do you have a test kit? Welcome to AA

Thanx, yes i have a test kit.... update....
been thinking about moving to a LARGER saltwater tank.. can you guys check out my thread and help me out... i know im new here but i could use the help :))
(i know already huh, moving from freshwater to Much larger saltwater tank, FW tanks seems Soo easy and honestly a LITTLE boring, wanted more of a challenge.. which is why im thinking about going to a saltwater tank)
Looking forward to your responses

Dont rush into everything all at once.

You have lots to master in the FW tank before you move onto other things.

Have you kept all the different species of FW fish yet?

Have you been able to "maintain" this tank for a long period?
Have you been keeping with water changes over about 3 months you will be able to judge yourself on how the tank looks and are they stil alive!

Some people stay in FW for about 20 years!
If you want SW then i would suggest getting another tank! If you are very bored then get some more tanks to look at and care for thats what i have done!

Good luck and dont add to many fish at the same time!

For me there are a lot of reasons not to go into salt water. First and foremost is the cost. The extra work is also not welcome. Having kept FW for more than 40 years, I am still not bored.There are lots of interesting and challenging fish in FW. As well there is the challenge of the planted tank. to each their own. Going from one to the other isn't a natural progression.

Welcome to the forum!

I have about 6 tanks and 2 of them are fresh and the rest are salt. I've been keeping fw fish for over 20yrs and just a year or two ago decided I wanted salt water. LOL

Uf you want a reef tank with corals then the initital outlay $$$ will be, to be honest, very shocking. The lights are obscenely priced usually and the other initital costs can be alot more than FW.

However, i have found that after you have all the necessary equipment and get into a groove the costs are not much higher than FW and the work is almost the same.

Two of the most important pieces of gear you'll need for sw would be a refractometer to test salinity and a ro/di unit to make your own water at home. Cuts the cost down to pennies a gallon.

Hope that helped a bit!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom