New here got a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charles3526

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all i am here search for some answers on beta fish and their tanks. I habe two betta tanks for my kids one take is doing beautiful the other tank we got is a 2 gal tank small filter have a algae problem what is the algae from? Do i need a different filter. I have a leaf in there along with a castle. What is it thay could be causing the algie to keeo growing back after cleaning. Any help or information would be great

Thank you

Algae mostly comes from light. Is the tank by a window? How long do you have the tanks lights on? If you reduce the amount the lights being on it should help with the algae.

I agree with the lights as stated above. If you have little water movement which bettas love then you will get algae. I've always had algae in my small betta tanks and I'm positive it's because of this. I add a Nerite snail to take care of it. I especially had a problem with brown colored algae if I used sand. It could have been from the liquid fertilizer too as I had a planted tank.

Hello thanks for the reply i did move take away from window now it is on a shelf away from window. I leave light on about 6+hrs a day is that to much? What kinda snail can i get for my betta tank? I thought they have to be alone.

6-8 hours should be fine. You will probably have to mess with the times and see what works or not.....if it's light issues. You moving it away from the window might solve your issue.

I use Nerite snails with my bettas. They always do a great job of cleaning up and they don't get very big. If you got a tank thats under 10g only use one snail. Shrimp are good cleaners but Bettas will eat shrimp in my experience.

I've had mixed results from mystery snails. I had one and it was amazing, it kept everything clean and was really fun to watch.
So naturally when it passed I bought another one. That one ignored and/all algae and ate my plants instead.

Chinese algae eaters also are great tank mates for bettas. But it does depend on the bettas temper. They live quite long and eat algae and can live in cold water.

Chinese algae eaters also are great tank mates for bettas. But it does depend on the bettas temper. They live quite long and eat algae and can live in cold water.

CAE can become obnoxious, aggressive, and large. Plus, they are less efficient algae eaters as they get older. May attack slower fish.
In the wild can get up to 11” but more like 5” kept in tanks. Yes, they can live up to 10 years. Not sure where you are getting the temp requirements; recommended temp range 75-85 F.

I have housed small chinese algae eaters in 68 degree water with them all being okay and Not all chinese algae eaters are aggresive in my expierience. It is not a very good envirement for them in a small tank but it does work.

I have housed small chinese algae eaters in 68 degree water with them all being okay and Not all chinese algae eaters are aggresive in my expierience. It is not a very good envirement for them in a small tank but it does work.

How long would this work? 2 months? 6 months? The CAE is going to grow too large for the tank. We are talking 2 gallons.
A single Nerite snail will consume many types of algae and not be much of a load (waste wise) to the small tank.
Controlling the light would probably be the best option.

I got the chinese algae eater when it was about an inch and it was stunted in the tank and did not griw much larger, but after around 3 months I had decided to remove it from the tank because it was not a good envirement for it. The tank was a 2.5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom