New here, just saying Hi.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and currently have a freshwater Juwel Rekford 600 (63 liter/16 gallon) aquarium for my turtles and just bought a Juwel Vision 450 (450liter/119 gallon) saltwater aquarium. I don't know the rules about posting external manufacturer's links on this forum, so I'll play it safe and not insert any. They are really beautifully made German tanks.

I am very excited about the new saltwater aquarium as I've never owned one before. I grew up with freshwater aquariums and had several turtle aquariums in the past. The last of my turtles, that I had as a kid, died last year, which I've had for almost 26 years ago when I purchased it.

Trying to teach my kids to take an interest in the hobby as I had growing up, and thus far they've been great at it. Be it a small beta fish in a vase or the small 16 gallon turtle tank, they've learned to monitor the livestock, observe water conditions, careful note any behavior changes of the fish or turtles and slowly, they've learned to dig up info on their own. I am proud of their interest in the hobby.

Our new challenge will be to set up our first saltwater tank. I expect delivery tomorrow evening. I couldn't find this German brand listed in the US, (I am working overseas and plan to take the tank back with me to the US when I return) but it has a neat filtration system that's designed in Switzerland, which has everything in one box, in the corner. Their skimmer is not out on the market yet, so I had to get an external skimmer.

The retailer pushed me to buy the biggest skimmer he has, I can't recall the brand right now, but it's a German brand, and he swears by it, even though it's rated for a tank 4 times the size of mine. His argument made sense to me, which is a skimmer for a 500 liter tank, would run near it's limit if used on a 450 liter tank, so he recommended the skimmer for a 2500 liter tank which would be running better and handling the task at no where near it's capacity. We'll see.

The initial set up will be performed by the retailer as our home, where he will explain to all family members how to maintain and run the tank.

I apologize for my long winded intro, and I hope in the coming months to learn all I can about this hobby.

cheers

Wael

Back
Top Bottom