Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflychild
or buy a few feeder goldfish
I had read earlier today that feeder fish shouldn't be used because they may harbor disease or parasites.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

I feel really bad for Skeeter. I wish I would have known how to cycle a tank before I got him. I feel like its my fault he died.

On the other hand, I did a 100% water change and acclimated king Neptune to the water and I just added him into the tank. He is swimming around gracefully checking out all the plants. He looks really pretty in it!

So just so I know I'm doing it right, test for ammonia and nitrates every day and do pwc's as needed until I get 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites for how many days in a row? And what do I do about the nitrates? Just wait and hope my plants start "eating" them?

I want to thank you guys so much for your help and support. I truly do appreciate it!
Yes, keep up the water changes until the ammonia and nitrite are 0 constantly and nitrate keeps rising. 40ppm of nitrate isn't too high. You will just have to do larger more frequent water change to keep them lower.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome.

Sorry about Skeeter.

I am glad you new Betta is doing well!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea
Welcome.

Sorry about Skeeter.

I am glad you new Betta is doing well!
Hi and thank you! My daughter was very upset about skeeter. I feel guilty because I should have know better about how to start a fish tank.

Also- the betta isn't new. Ive had him a few months (since before christmas). He was in a 1/2 gallon bowl and then I found this site and realized he needed more space. So I bought him a 1 gallon tank that was on sale 40% off with the intention of moving skeeter to a larger aquarium and then moving King Neptune into skeeters 5gal. Anyway, it didnt work out quite as planned. I still want a bigger tank but I think I may try and go saltwater, after ALOT of research!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

So King Neptune is doing good in the 5gal. I checked the water this morning and it's at .25 ammo and .25 nitrites. I decided I would feed him and after he eats I will do a 50% pwc. Then I can get out any food he doesn't eat. Here's a picture of him in his new home. I'm hoping his colors will get brighter as he gets happier and healthier!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry Mimma.of.two your so right there i wasent thinking. I wouldnt purposily hurt any animal. Theres enough cruelty in this world as is. Sorry again.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tested the water again today a few hours after the 50% pwc and the nitrites are very low. 0-.25 ppm. Ammo is the same as trites. Nitrates are holding strong at 40-80ppm even after I added the two plants.

I decided to do an experiment and test the pH of the water my driftwood is soaking in. It was lower than my tank @ 7.4 (high range test)!

Also, I thought- I wonder what the ammonia is in my driftwood soaking water and it's @ about 1.5ppm. Then I thought... What's the trites? They are a lovely shade of purple at 2.0ppm-5.0ppm. So... Could it stand to reason that when my driftwood is soaked and put in the tank it will make my ph fall and ammo and trites rise? And also, is it possible that the bb is growing on the driftwood which will actually help my tank cycle better? I'm not adding it in until it sinks because it's large and anchoring it would be a pain in the butt.

I was curious as to what you guys thought about this.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

A picture of the driftwood experiment and the ammo and trite readings from the water in the pan. I have a glass bowl of water on top of the wood to weigh it down do it stays submerged.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tested my water. What do you think about this? Is ammonia 0? Nitrites are higher today, I'm thinking close to 1ppm?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just tested nitrites again. They were at .25ppm so I did a 75% water change again. That makes sense though- if it was at 1 and I did a 75% change then it being at .25 a few hours later makes sense. It's down to 0 now. Here's a pic of before and after the most recent water change.

Tags
gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello! | Intro »