Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Here - new 55 gal tank

Howdy all!

My name is Ryan. I am new to this site, but not so new to fish and aquariums, although it has been a couple of years since my last aquarium. I will be picking up a 55gal and stand for $150 tomorrow. I am wanting to build up a cichlid tank and caught my eye on blood red parrot fish. So I am wanting to build a setup around 1 or maybe 2 of those. Any suggestions for compatible mates is welcome! I am also thinking of a fluval 305 or 405, depending on available funding .

My previous tank was a 29 gal which hasn't been filled for several years. Had a school of tiger barbs and other community fish. I've always used my snake gravel vacuum for cleaning and water changes, but we just moved into a new home and it came with a fancy faucet which is not compatible to the coupler. You guys have any tips or tricks for cleaning your tanks without the luxury of a faucet/sink?

Any suggestions/comments are always welcome!
Thanks!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA

Can you find an attachment at your hardware store that can fit your sink end and cleaner end? I know I have a few different plastic fitting to use for hooking our python up to the shower. Different connections in the shower than the sinks.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

welcome to the site! for my tanks i use a gravel vac and it sucks the water into a bucket then i dump the bucket in my sink. so you can try that.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!

My basement, when I moved in, had one of those fancy faucets in the bathroom down here. I just went to the hardware store and bought a cheap-o faucet that did have the connection I need. They install quickly.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
Welcome to AA

Can you find an attachment at your hardware store that can fit your sink end and cleaner end? I know I have a few different plastic fitting to use for hooking our python up to the shower. Different connections in the shower than the sinks.
I need to play around with the fitting, im sure there is a way. Just doesnt look like a bunch of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
Welcome to AA!

My basement, when I moved in, had one of those fancy faucets in the bathroom down here. I just went to the hardware store and bought a cheap-o faucet that did have the connection I need. They install quickly.
Not sure my better half would be pleased with me for switching them out, lol, im trying to ease her into the aquarium frenzy.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA. As far as tankmates go, a 55g isn't a lot of room. You could maybe go with a pair of bloodparrots, but that doesn't leave you room for much else. You could get a small school of rainbow tetras with some bristlenose plecos and maybe a school of cory cats for clean up
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.

Tags
55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com