New here. Not to hobby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranvan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I found this site doing a google search. I have posted a question which is important to me regarding protein skimmers.

When I was younger, I had a basement full of aquariums. As I got older and moved out, they all were dismantled. Marriage and children kept me from really having any fish. Five years ago when I went to get some crickets for a lizard that we had at the time, I felt sorry for the goldfish in the feeder tank. I thought that just a couple might be fun. And so it began. A couple of months later, I "needed" the 40g. Two years later, it was a 120g and then another. Now I have empty aquariums waiting for fish if I only had the room.

I have four aquariums plus a QT. One is a 120g saltwater. One is a 120 oscar/dempsey/jewel cichlid tank. One is a 40g severum/firemouth tank. And one is a ten gallon guppy tank (with three synodontis babies which will go into the 40g). The 40g will be upgraded to a 75g which I have waiting.

My SW tank crashed do to an illness about two moths ago. Prior to that for three years, I never used a QT. Never. And it worked because all of my fish came from the same place. Being brave, I bought from a different place and promptly brought velvet (I think) into my system. I lost the majority of my fish. I then moved the remaining fish (two tangs, a goby, a scat...which caused the disease, and three chromises) to a 29g which is now my QT. After six weeks, I moved all of them back except the chromises. I now have five new fish in the QT.

The 120g oscars are three years and two years old. The dempseys and jewels are between a year and two years of age. Since my 12" or more oscar accepted these fish when they were but an inch or two, I thought I would add a school of tiger barbs in the tank to make it interesting. The only interested was the oscar. One by one, the barbs disappeared. That was a twenty dollar meal.

The guppy tank has guppies descended from a bag of feeder guppies that I bought five years ago. About three years ago, I added just one fancy male when I was down to two females. Now after some births and deaths, there are three males and two females. This tank has been on its own. The water gets changed and the fish fed, but no extra attention is received. There have been other residents along the way who I have moved out. Right now, the three syno hybrids are about one and a half inches. When they get three inches I will move them out.

So is my second journey into the aquarium hobby. To think it all started five years ago with a two gallon tank and two small goldfish.

Hahaha! I think we all suffer from MTS (multi-tank syndrome) now! Welcome to this forum! You will find great help here and probably be able to help out too!

Back
Top Bottom