Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New here, saying hello

I've trolled to forums for some time now and finally joined.

We started our love for the hobby with a 10 gallon tank and a gold fish. We soon grew out of that and set up a 55 gallon that is now the home to 5 goldfish. We enjoyed watching the peaceful and relaxing display of them we thought it was time to set up another tank. We found a nice 55 gallon tall tank. This tank is our new adventure, we've set it up to be used as a community tank. It houses 3 dalmatian mollies, a balloon butterfly lyretail molly, a gold dust molly, 10 neon tetras, a male swordtail (we also had a female swordtail but we lost her tonight) and a common pleco. The 10 gallon is now our nursery, our dalmatian molly had 14 fry 12 days ago.

Other then that, just wanted to say hi.

Rehberg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi and welcome to AA. The common pleco reaches 24" when full grown and create a bigger mess than they clean up. When he gets gets big, he won't be to happy in a 50 tall. I would look to give him to a koi pond or back to the store.

Dubs1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I realize I'm going to need to find a new home for "Rocky" the pleco. We've had him for about a month and has already put on about 2", I wish I knew what type he is so I can get an idea of how big he'll get. But my son loves him and he has a home with us until that time comes. Maybe I can talk the wife into a 200 gallon in the near future.
Rehberg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, welcome to the forum!

We've all been in the position of having to make an unhappy decision with a fish at some time. Sometimes its because of incompatability with tankmates, and more commonly its because we end up with a fish that requires more space/specialized care than we can give it. I had to give up my common pleco when s/he was a foot long because she was being bullied by a smaller aggressive pleco (a gibbiceps). She jumped out of the tank (175g) so I took her to the lfs. Very sad day. I felt so guilty!! The guy had a friend with an 8ft tank with no other pleco who was happy to take her, so she was going to be better off. I had only had her for about 18 months, but I was still quite attached!
Hopefully yours isn't a common pleco, but is a smaller species such as a bristlenose.
Good luck
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com