Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New here wanted to say Hi

I am new here but not new to the hobby. I am an environmental engineer, specialize in hazardous waste management and remediation. I currently have....

50 gallon which right now is growing out fry (all livebearers right now, guppies, mollies, and swords) but soon they are getting kicked out. The 50 belongs to my turtle, Crazy. I have had her 26 years. She likes to summer in her 300 gallon prefab pond in the backyard.

1200 gallon pond which currently houses koi, goldfish, a catfish, and a couple of tilapia a friend gave me from his aquaponics set up. I have dreams of converting to aquaponics but $$$$.

10 gallon in my youngest son's room where "we" house guppies and try and keep the water fern under control.

39 gallon in my older sons room with swords, mollies, Cory cats, ghost catfish, a African knife, and misc. live plants.

Spike, the bearded dragon, stays in a 55 gallon. Does that count here? Well in that case we have 3 dogs, a cat, and I feed all the wild birds in the neighborhood.

I recently got a 55 gallon for myself. I have aquascaped it, planted it and I am allowing it to cycle. I put 5 of the less desirable guppies in it for now. They are doing very well. I plan to put Dwarf africans from families pelvicachromis (kribs etc.), chromidotilapia, paranochromis, nanochromis, and thysochromis in it. The actual fish that are ultimately placed in it will probably be more dictated by what Africans I can get locally from a trusted source. I have never had dwarf African cichlids before. I have had lake Malawi and lake Tanganyika Cichlids many times. I look forward to the softer water....

I grew up spending summers in my Grandmother's pet shop. Which of course the large chains put out of business. I try not to go there but there are so few locally owned and operated pet stores that sometimes I swallow my pride.

I can not recall a time I did not have an aquarium and I find it hard to fall asleep without the sound....

Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi. Welcome to the site. We have some very knowledgable people here that will be able to help with any questions you might have about the cichlids.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by byork
I am new here but not new to the hobby. I am an environmental engineer, specialize in hazardous waste management and remediation. I currently have....

50 gallon which right now is growing out fry (all livebearers right now, guppies, mollies, and swords) but soon they are getting kicked out. The 50 belongs to my turtle, Crazy. I have had her 26 years. She likes to summer in her 300 gallon prefab pond in the backyard.

1200 gallon pond which currently houses koi, goldfish, a catfish, and a couple of tilapia a friend gave me from his aquaponics set up. I have dreams of converting to aquaponics but $$$$.

10 gallon in my youngest son's room where "we" house guppies and try and keep the water fern under control.

39 gallon in my older sons room with swords, mollies, Cory cats, ghost catfish, a African knife, and misc. live plants.

Spike, the bearded dragon, stays in a 55 gallon. Does that count here? Well in that case we have 3 dogs, a cat, and I feed all the wild birds in the neighborhood.

I recently got a 55 gallon for myself. I have aquascaped it, planted it and I am allowing it to cycle. I put 5 of the less desirable guppies in it for now. They are doing very well. I plan to put Dwarf africans from families pelvicachromis (kribs etc.), chromidotilapia, paranochromis, nanochromis, and thysochromis in it. The actual fish that are ultimately placed in it will probably be more dictated by what Africans I can get locally from a trusted source. I have never had dwarf African cichlids before. I have had lake Malawi and lake Tanganyika Cichlids many times. I look forward to the softer water....

I grew up spending summers in my Grandmother's pet shop. Which of course the large chains put out of business. I try not to go there but there are so few locally owned and operated pet stores that sometimes I swallow my pride.

I can not recall a time I did not have an aquarium and I find it hard to fall asleep without the sound....
Welcome! LOVE tangs! Gonna start a new Tanganyikan build soon you'll like it here
Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the AA family

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi, I have a box turtle for 26 years too.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitter
Hi, I have a box turtle for 26 years too.
Mine is a painted turtle. I never expected her to live that long! But I didn't know much when I got her as a kid. I will probably have to write her into my will
Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #10

Thank you for all the warm welcomes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com