New Hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dresnoone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am Andria and sort of new to becoming an aquarist. I started off with African Dwarf frogs and went back to my love of Mollies, especially to show their lifestyle and livebearing ways to my daughter. I haven't done this in a while. I graduated to a 10G tank about two weeks ago and have fluctuated between 5-6 Mollies/Platy at a time. I'm hoping through becoming apart of this community I can learn how to become better at my new hobby.

Hi Andria, and welcome to AA! :welcome:

We're a helpful bunch here, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I am Andria and sort of new to becoming an aquarist. I started off with African Dwarf frogs and went back to my love of Mollies, especially to show their lifestyle and livebearing ways to my daughter. I haven't done this in a while. I graduated to a 10G tank about two weeks ago and have fluctuated between 5-6 Mollies/Platy at a time. I'm hoping through becoming apart of this community I can learn how to become better at my new hobby.
Welcome. I also keep molllies and platys. LOVE getting and raising the babies.
Sorry, but i have to tell you that mollies need more than 10g. They get large, active, and messy, so they need at least a 20 gallon tank. A 10g is ok for platys, but only for 1 or 2 tops in my opinion.

Thank you!!!

Thank you all for welcoming me, I truly feel welcomed. As I've been reading a 10g is not sufficient for Mollies, especially fertile ones. Sadly, every time I have babies they die because I rush in to change part of the water and start treating it. I have this bacteria pill I purchased from PetSmart for freshwater fish, it changes the color of the water green while it's dissolving, reminds me of Alka-seltzer. After I did that and added small increments of salt all the babies died with their stomachs split except two. I'm fairly new as I haven't been caring for Mollies in over 7 years. I look forward to everyone's advice and help.

I never really do anything special for my molly fry. I net them out and out them in a breeding net, and feed them more often than the adults.
I would recommend a different de-chlorinator. Since your tank is cycled, there is not reason for a bacteria pill. I don't think the salt is necessary either. I have heard some people say that mollies do better with salt, but mine have always been fine without it. You can always start a new thread asking people how they care for their mollie fry. But I do advise geeting a bigger tank for them. There are lots of other really cool fish are gret for 10 gallon however, including guppies and Endler's livebearers. So, you could still have babies. :)

Back
Top Bottom