Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New Hobby - Eager to learn more

Hello everyone. I'm Tara...from the US, Georgia to be exact. In June I decided to start an aquarium with my daughter, for her birthday. I'll be honest, it started out with me thinking that keeping a fish would be easier and less expensive than a dog. What started out as a fish (a beta) turned into...well...a huge project. As we were shopping, we got more and more excited. We ended up walking out of the store with one 2.5 gallon bowl for her male beta, a 29 gallon tank with 2 goldfish, 3 female betas, a silver tipped shark, and a pleco. As of now, only 1 of those fish survived, a female beta. My daughter actually did not wish to see these fish buried but buried them each in their own coffins. I began researching about water conditions. I got the water squared away with some live plants. Instead of going to a chain petstore, I went to the internet and purchased some fish. As of now, I have 1 each of 5 different breeds of gourami, a pleco, and a chinese algae eater. I promise not to put any more in there :P

This is turning into a great experience as I see them all interact. So far, I've had them for 3 months and they are doing great. I'm watching very closely as I know they were all very young when I received them. Their personalities and traits are still developing. I'm considering selling my television just to have room for a bigger aquarium...lol

digitalrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
welcome to the cult...errr, hobby. It sounds as if you started out like my family did, except we went from a 1 gallon to a 29 gallon, then added a 3 gallon eclipse, and now are operating in a 55 gallon tank. Once we move and have more room, we will be operating the 29, the 55, and the 3 gallon eclipse. The only one not up currently is the 29 gallon, as all the inhabitants are in the 55, but we will likely start the 29 up for a nice tropical community tank, and maybe turn the 55 into a loach tank, not 100% sure yet.

Again, welcome, and I am sure you will enjoy your stay. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had here, all you need to do is to pick the right brains...

papa_bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA!!
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Welcome to fishkeeping and this web site. Don't hesitate to ask questions or just read messages that have already been posted.
Gene Heitman - 12 tanks (11 freshwater and 1 saltwater), 206 gallons, 20+ species of fish/shrimp/snails, 52+ species of plants ... 10 years ago I just wanted 1 tank with some fish
gheitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! We are very glad to have you here.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to AA! This is a great site with great people to help with anything you could ever want to know about fish-keeping.
29-gallon FW
1 yoyo loach, 2 polkadot loaches, 6 cherry barbs, 2 turquoise rainbows, 1 chinese algae eater, 2 harlequin rasboras; java fern, java moss, hornwort, Asian ambulia
LandGhoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to AA Tara.

chase33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« I'M Back | me »