New Hobby UH OH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlindaxx05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody! I decided to start a freshwater aquarium and now I feel like I’m drowning (no pun intended)!

I bought a 29 gallon tank, small smooth gravel substrate, decorations with some hiding places, Aqueon filter, a heater, some plants (I have no idea what they are. I got them from Petco), a hood with a 30 watt florescent light, a net and an algae cleaner. I’ll get food once I get the fish. I really don’t want to spend anymore money! Do I have everything I need?

The tank is running with all this stuff in it. I put some of the gravel and a fake plant from my Betta bowl in the tank to help "cycle" it. When can I start putting fish in the tank?

I wasn't planning on putting my Betta in the new tank but now I feel guilty about it. If I put him in this tank what other fish can I put with him. I want some fish with personality but also wont start trouble with my Betta... he is an old man! I can leave him in his 2 gallon bowl if the transition would be too stressful.

Any stocking ideas at all would be great!!! I’m not at all familiar with freshwater fish. Thank you so much!!!
Linda

Moving your betta would be great :) he'll love the extra room, alot more fish than most people think will work with a betta, neon and cardinal tetras are small colorful and fast enough the betta won't bother them, Cory cats hang out and play at the bottom but you need 5+ for them to be comfortable, plus they eat leftover food ;), sounds like you have a good plan, just get a liquid test kit to determine if your cycled or not and when you are add your fish slowly

THANK YOU!! When I get the cory cats I should still only put them in the tank 2 at a time even though they like to be in larger schools?

You can probably get away with adding 4+ corys at once they don't have a crazy high bioload like some fish

Back
Top Bottom