New in Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xazax

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I've been "fishing" around here for info for about a month (excuse the pun) and finally made an account. I have started my first real freshwater tank and am really looking forward to the hobby. I'm from Northern Virginia.

I have had one failed experience about a year ago. I tried to build a paludarium (56G with about 25G of water) for my poison dart frogs and some fish. Well the frogs kept knocking everything in the water and it was terrible! So I changed that to just a vivarium with a water feature.

My new build is 55G, decently planted. I have some rocks and fake wood in there. I used Eco-Complete and sand for substrate. I was going to do a fishless cycle but couldn't find pure ammonia anywhere. I ended up using Tetra Safe Start and added 10 Zebra Danios in there. So far so good. Steady ammonia around 0.5, 0 Nitrites, and gradually increasing Nitrates (up to 30, about to do a water change tomorrow). The danios seem happy feeding on some flakes and fruit flies.

My goals are to eventually have 2-3 ropefish, a platinum angel, a gold gourami, a few Rainbows, and maybe some shrimp.

Welcome! Good luck with your tank. My params on a newly set up 5 gal are close to the same. 0.25 - .5 ammo and so far 0 Nitrites.
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom