New Kid on The Block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonameface

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
not to be confused with the terrible 90's "band", I just found this forum yesterday and decided to join and post today.

I've had FW aquariums since I was about 8 (i'm 23 now) and realized after my reading yesterday that I really had no idea what I was doing. I knew basic diseases (ick, fin rot, etc) and I've treated for those every now and then, and I knew about pH, but other then that my knowledge of water quality is next to nothing. I learned all about the ammonia cycle, which I suppose I've always been fortunate with and luckly its one of those things that "fixes itself" after long enough period of time.

I currently have 3 aquariums

29 Gallon lightly planted with rocks
HOB rena filter
Heater
Flourite substrate (which is beautiful if you have 5 hours to wash it)
Stock hood :( I want to upgrade to about 2 w/g right now I'm at about .7w/g. Just need the $$ and the OK from the wife. I'm lucky that where the aquarium is light shines into it from the windows (I can actually see the streak of light through the water) even with the blinds closed, and I made sure to plant in the "natural light" areas. The only reason my live plants are even close to alive still, and they have very slow growth.

10 Gallon lightly planted with rocks (my wifes tank)
Cheap Tetra HOB filter
Heater
Epoxy coated aquarium gravel
This tank also has a stock hood, 1.5w/g of light (always wondered why plants did better in this tank, I just figured it out)

5 gallon hexagon tank fake plants
"all-in-one" hood and filter preassembled unit from Petsmart:(
This was the QT/breeder tank until we decided we didn't like having it empty. It has a lame incandescent bulb so no heater required, that actually keeps the water pretty constant temperature around 78 degrees.

I now know that my tanks need some work, and that work requires money which I don't have to spend on tanks, so I'm in sort of a bind. I've been looking at the nano SW "all-in-one" pod tanks and kind of drooling all over the place and that is a long term goal for me. I'd like to have a small 14gallon or so tank sitting on an end table in the living room, and SW seems like a fun and different challenge that some day when I have the money to put into it I'm going to take on.

So that was a long post just to say Hi!

Jesse

Welcome to AA! Those planted aquariums sound like they need a few more plants!!

Thanks for all the welcoming!

I'd love to do a heavily planted tank, and I think some of the planted tanks I've seen on here are absolutely beautiful!! Right now I need to mainly find a good lfs, the only thing really close is petsmart, and I have two of them. I know they have live plants in little plastic tubes but they are CRAZY expensive and I don't really like them all that much, and I think they're made more for terrariums then aquariums.

I also need to buy a new light source for my aquarium, though I'm having issues with that because 1) they're expensive and 2) I like the look of my tank with the hood (and it keeps my bala shark safely from jumping out) and I don't want to have to take it off. What I'd really love is to find a multiple ballast light with the same dimensions as my "stock" one so I can leave the hood and just replace the light fixture. This is a standard 29 Gallon tank.

What is the expert opinion on DIY co2 from yeast? or should I not worry about it for a long time until I have lots of w/g of lighting?

I also just learned that my current fish may not be the happiest is the world because I apparently have schooling fish without schools :(

My 29 Gallon currently has:
1 4" bala shark
2 1" Tiger Barbs
1 1" Red-tailed Shark
2 2" Rosy barbs
1 4" pleco (my 10" pleco recently passed and this was his replacement)

My Wifes 10 gallon is WAY over stocked on mollys
4 Adult black mollys (1 male, 3 female)
2 Adult sunburst mollys (both female)
2 Adult silver mollys (both female)
1 3" pleco
about 25 Black molly fry
about 10 sunburst molly toddlers
and 2 silver molly toddlers

I Don't know what to do with all these mollys :-/ at first they kept eating their babies which was fine, I love that they breed, but I don't have room for them and I don't really want a molly farm.

The 5 gallon Hex
1 small angel fish
1 "rubber-lipped" pleco

I guess this isn't really the place to ask questions, maybe I'll just redo them over on the FW boards later so they'll get a little more exposure :)

Anyways just wanted to say Hi! I'll check back incase anyone does answer them here though :)

Also I plan to get an ammonia test kit sometime in the very near future because I've learned that is probably the most important thing I can have that I don't.

Thanks for all the welcoming!

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom