The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I am a new member and new to the fish hobby. I just started a 29 gal after watching my son's 90 gal (he lost so many fish). I became amazed at how graceful and smart Oscars were so I got my own. I started with a 29 gal with a green terror, a mbuna, Tilapia, blood parrot, and algae eater. The tank sank and I lost all fish except the mbuna and blood parrot. I panicked, not knowing what to do and rushed the blood parrot to my son's 10 gal where he died in about 10 mins. I was left with my mbuna and started reading and asking everyone what to do. This was about 7 weeks ago and the mbuna is still with me thankfully. I made another mistake by adding fish once my ammonia level improved. I ended up overloading the tank so I've been changing 30% of the water daily. I am still learning but I'm getting smarter.

Found out the Tilapia should be alone so purchased a 55 gal (now cycling with two fish).

So I have nine fish in the 29 gal and two in the 55 gal.

I will keep the African's in the 55 gal with the blood parrot and the Tilapia in the 29 gal. If he outgrows the 29 gal tank I will either get a bigger home for him or donate to a good carekeeper. I have limited space where I live now.

I enjoy the tanks so much. The fish are great. I just have to be patient and keep learning about how to care for them. I recently purchased 305 fluval for the 55 gal and got a 205 for the 29 gal. Each tank has two filters and an air pump. I check the water every other day now and make small water changes as needed. I see a big part of keeping fish healthy is their environment. I enjoy changing the water and cleaning the tank.

I hope to learn more from everyone here. Thanks in advance! and great to meet such dedicated people!

Welcome to AA! :)

There's a thread around here somewhere about cycling with fish. I'll try to dig it up. I'm afraid to say this, but IMO the 29 is going to eventually be too small for the parrot as well. Live and learn, I started into the hobby in quite a similar fashion. lol

Hi HN1,

Thank you so much for welcoming me. Yes, I know. I will try to post a pic of my tank with the fish. I will move the Blood Parrot to the 55 gal with the African's once the tank cycles a bit. He fights with the Tilapia right now. I get stressed when I see the fish fight but I'm told more room will help.

I wish I had read a few books before venturing out because it has been a rough time for me living and learning and the time and money I've spent trying to save the fish :) More heartache and worry than anything. Can price emotions. I am really enjoying the fish and just hope I can get them into the 55 gal successfully without losing any. The 29 gal is too small.

I wish I had read and learned more before I ventured in as well. I think most people would probably say that no matter how much they knew, there was and always will be a ton more to learn. That's one of the many rewards of this hobby for me.

Yes I agree there is so much to learn. I am so thankful to have found this group. Wow...so many passionate helpful people here. It's great.

Back
Top Bottom