Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nickniagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 10
New Member

Hi my names nick. I was looking around online for advice on they type of live plants I will need in my tank and ended up here lol!

I just recently moved into a condo where the kitchen and living room is separated by an island and I thought it would be really cool looking to have a nice long, shallow tank on the island to further the distinction between kitchen and living room as well as providing a living art piece visible from both rooms. Because of this there will be no backing on the tank but I was thinking of having a row of live plants straight down the middle of varying heights and sizes to provide a backdrop for the fish view-able from both sides of the tank.

My tank dimensions are pretty unique I think so I ended up having to build the tank myself. I might have taken on a lot but I think its going okay. I'm at the stage right now where I'm waiting for the silicone to cure and will be doing a water test in a few days. The dimensions are 16" high x 11" deep x 68" long.

I'll see if I can upload some pictures of what I've done so far!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	306412_10150455656136998_508111997_10619350_207973609_n.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	62507   Click image for larger version

Name:	308701_10150461162621998_508111997_10638976_296053458_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	62508  

Click image for larger version

Name:	387718_10150453506471998_508111997_10611705_916585435_n.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	62509  
__________________

__________________
nickniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickniagara View Post
Hi my names nick. I was looking around online for advice on they type of live plants I will need in my tank and ended up here lol!

I just recently moved into a condo where the kitchen and living room is separated by an island and I thought it would be really cool looking to have a nice long, shallow tank on the island to further the distinction between kitchen and living room as well as providing a living art piece visible from both rooms. Because of this there will be no backing on the tank but I was thinking of having a row of live plants straight down the middle of varying heights and sizes to provide a backdrop for the fish view-able from both sides of the tank.

My tank dimensions are pretty unique I think so I ended up having to build the tank myself. I might have taken on a lot but I think its going okay. I'm at the stage right now where I'm waiting for the silicone to cure and will be doing a water test in a few days. The dimensions are 16" high x 11" deep x 68" long.

I'll see if I can upload some pictures of what I've done so far!!!
Nice work!

Thanks for joining AA!
__________________

__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Aces11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntley, IL
Posts: 976
Welcome to Aquarium Advice!
__________________
Aces11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HN1's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ga
Posts: 8,169
Welcome to AA!
__________________
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Welcome to AA!

Nice tank. Its going to look amazing when it's done. Is this your first tank or do you have others?
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nickniagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 10
First tank. I read a lot about building them online before I started. I think I could've done a better job with the silicone seal being neater but I'm planning on applying a wood trim after it is done so I can cut away the excess silicone and cover the edges with the trim.
__________________
nickniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
to AA!
__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickniagara
First tank. I read a lot about building them online before I started. I think I could've done a better job with the silicone seal being neater but I'm planning on applying a wood trim after it is done so I can cut away the excess silicone and cover the edges with the trim.
Cool. Make sure you post pics when it's done. Do you know about cycling new tanks?
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
nickniagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 10
Yeah I've read about it. Does the cycling need to happen before putting in live plants or is it just to prepare the tank for the fish?
__________________
nickniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickniagara
Yeah I've read about it. Does the cycling need to happen before putting in live plants or is it just to prepare the tank for the fish?
You can put the plants in when ever. It's to make the tank safe for fish and inverts.
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.
Here are some links to some write ups on cycling.
Have you considered what plants you are wanting?
__________________

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New member Hoppy Member Introductions 3 10-23-2011 09:44 AM
Supporting Member Dylan5359 Forum Admin & Announcements 0 06-30-2011 01:15 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.