Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi,

My name is Matt and I am from central Illinois. Going to start breeding guppies for certain traits. Been doing a lot of research, but the biggest things I have questions on is data keeping. How to keep track of my fish and know which ones to breed together to get what I am looking for. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best way to do this would be to take photos to show heritage and keep only males in one tank and only females in another to prevent breeding that isn't controlled.

You can label the strain of the male x the strain of the female as well.

Glad to have you on the forum!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm assuming you know how to use a punnet square and what not, now what you can do would be to breed two guppies together, say a turquoise and a leopard.

If the traits blend turquoise and leopard are incompletely dominant to each other. If it shows equal amounts of turquoise and leopard, they are codominant to each other. If the traits show turquoise then turquoise is dominant over leopard. And if leopard is shown, turquoise is dominant.

I'm sure you know that you only need one dominant allele and two recessive alleles, so if you complete your punnet squares, you should have an accurate representation of your offspring.

If you have a Bb turquoise male and a bb leopard female, your offspring will be Bb, Bb, bb, bb. This means that half your offspring will be leopard, other half will be turquoise (about half). If you have BB and bb, your offspring will be all turquoise and Bb. This means they carry the leopard trait, but do not display it. So using the ratio of the offspring, you can track the alleles of the parents. Hope I helped!

Any questions? Sorry if I wasnt very clear.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

Yes I learned the square in high school. But that was a good refresher course.

Since I don't know what genotype the parents are I am not sure what to label them. Do I just have to find that out after the first offspring come? If the offspring are mostly one kind or half and half, then that would make the parents such and such....

I will definitely update once I have my first offspring. I'm sure with a little help I can get going and not have to ask a lot of questions. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem, glad I could help.

Because most people don't buy from breeders who can tell them the exact genetics, you would have to wait for offspring. Oh and every like 3 or 5 generations, mix in some new blood so they don't get inbred too badly.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

Will do .

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com