New member!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hexideci

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!

I'm a new member to this site and relatively new aquarium owner in general. My girlfriend and I got a 36 gallon tank about 2 months ago and have been slowly learning the ropes and filling it as we go. I'm just looking for general info about the fish I have - and maybe some good suggestions based on compatibility. I have listed out the fish I have in my profile, I can post here i necessary.

One of our friends is getting rid of their 75 gallon tank, and we will be acquiring that soon. We will be looking to get more fish and probably get some info about transferring the tanks when the time is right.

The last thing I am interested in is information about transitioning from fake plants to real plants... I will get all of this info over time but just thought I'd state my intent in this hello post!

Hope to hear from you!

Chris

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with a lot of this (NOW). I did not do any fishless cycling but have already dealt with the challenges and pains there. Had a bunch of fish die but things have leveled off since then. Wish I had seen these guidelines first, would have saved us a ton of time (and fish)!

Oh well though, live and learn. We'll be sure to do it right when we get the 75 gallon!

I looked at your profile and I definitely don't want to come off as rude but that it seriously overstocked for a 36 gallon. I have a dojo loach myself(he's my profile photo). In a few months he has got to 6 inches, I bought him at 2.5. They get up to 10 inches each. Also, be very careful with pleco's, do your research. Many pleco's get huge (10+ inches easy).

Try using AqAdvisor to help you with stocking. A simple Google search and you will find it. It helps balance your stocking with tank size and filtration.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Also Kuhli Loaches and Corys like groups of 5 or more to reduce stress.

Your stock like is more for the 75 gallon. Loaches get long. Pleco's can get huge. Glad you like loaches though I love mine.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I looked at your profile and I definitely don't want to come off as rude but that it seriously overstocked for a 36 gallon. I have a dojo loach myself(he's my profile photo). In a few months he has got to 6 inches, I bought him at 2.5. They get up to 10 inches each. Also, be very careful with pleco's, do your research. Many pleco's get huge (10+ inches easy).

Try using AqAdvisor to help you with stocking. A simple Google search and you will find it. It helps balance your stocking with tank size and filtration.

Awesome. Your post comes across as far from rude. I am here for advice so I appreciate all of it - even it if it were rude.

We were unaware we were overstocking at the time. We are gearing up to upgrade to a 75 gallon, thinking that will be better. We were a bit cautious with the pleco's we chose, should be around 6" or so each.

Just use AqAdvisor and you are right, we are way over. Perhaps we will speed up the conversion to the new tank....

Awesome. Your post comes across as far from rude. I am here for advice so I appreciate all of it - even it if it were rude.

We were unaware we were overstocking at the time. We are gearing up to upgrade to a 75 gallon, thinking that will be better. We were a bit cautious with the pleco's we chose, should be around 6" or so each.

Just use AqAdvisor and you are right, we are way over. Perhaps we will speed up the conversion to the new tank....

That's awesome that you are open for input. We have had some on here who are trolls or just wouldn't accept the advice they are given.

One thing, in my experience with Corys and my loach. My loach didn't really bully them, but he stressed them out. I'm not saying they won't work together, that's just my experience with having both in the same tank.

Pleco's are also VERY messy fish, they look cool but they have a large bio load and can put a damper on the tank. The bigger it is the messier. Chain LFS will try to sell you them as "algae eaters" to clean your tank but really they make more waste than they do eat algae. Otocinclus or Flying Foxes are good algae eaters. Will a well timed light that is not too bright you shouldn't have any algae problems though. Sorry for the rant. A lot of people to like the bristlenose pleco. I had a clown pleco myself once. Small and didn't make a mess really.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

And before I forget! Throw an extra filter pad in your filter. When you set up your 75g, put that pad in your new tanks filter to "seed" it with beneficial bacteria from the other tank. It takes about 3 weeks for the pad to become "seeded" and full of bacteria.

By putting it in the new tank, it's like giving the cycling process a shot of steroids and it will cycle much quicker. :)

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

That's awesome that you are open for input. We have had some on here who are trolls or just wouldn't accept the advice they are given.

One thing, in my experience with Corys and my loach. My loach didn't really bully them, but he stressed them out. I'm not saying they won't work together, that's just my experience with having both in the same tank.

Pleco's are also VERY messy fish, they look cool but they have a large bio load and can put a damper on the tank. The bigger it is the messier. Chain LFS will try to sell you them as "algae eaters" to clean your tank but really they make more waste than they do eat algae. Otocinclus or Flying Foxes are good algae eaters. Will a well timed light that is not too bright you shouldn't have any algae problems though. Sorry for the rant. A lot of people to like the bristlenose pleco. I had a clown pleco myself once. Small and didn't make a mess really.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I've never understood people who ask for help when they aren't ready to receive it. If you know everything then why ask for help?

One of the FIRST things we noticed was the biggest dojo nudging the corys out of the way to eat the food they were eating. I didn't really know if it was a problem or not, thought it might be them establishing a natural pecking order of sorts. But I will keep my eye on it.

Will keep an eye on the plecos too. That is indeed how they are marketed - as tank cleaners - and partially why we decided to get two. This is interesting information. Will see how they all fare for a bit, and maybe offer up one of the plecos to a buddy if need be.

Thanks for the tip on the filter pad! I've been doing reading on fishless cycling and will be going that route with the new tank too. I really appreciate all the advice/help!

I've never understood people who ask for help when they aren't ready to receive it. If you know everything then why ask for help?

One of the FIRST things we noticed was the biggest dojo nudging the corys out of the way to eat the food they were eating. I didn't really know if it was a problem or not, thought it might be them establishing a natural pecking order of sorts. But I will keep my eye on it.

Will keep an eye on the plecos too. That is indeed how they are marketed - as tank cleaners - and partially why we decided to get two. This is interesting information. Will see how they all fare for a bit, and maybe offer up one of the plecos to a buddy if need be.

Thanks for the tip on the filter pad! I've been doing reading on fishless cycling and will be going that route with the new tank too. I really appreciate all the advice/help!

It's no problem at all! About 6 months ago I didn't even know a cycle existed and had a goldfish in a 2.5 gallon tank :D it's a learning process.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423522013.190903.jpg

My dojo loach. He's the star of my tank. As you will notice that's a gravel substrate. Loaches need sand or very fine gravel! This is because they are scaleless and gravel will cut them up. Mine is in that tank because of ick in his real home. I'm putting him back soon.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

View attachment 263839

My dojo loach. He's the star of my tank. As you will notice that's a gravel substrate. Loaches need sand or very fine gravel! This is because they are scaleless and gravel will cut them up. Mine is in that tank because of ick in his real home. I'm putting him back soon.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Our biggest dojo was the very first fish we bought! We loved him so much we got him a couple friends. Might have gone overboard but they are the life of the tank. They crack me up - we find them in the most hilarious positions. In plants, standing up, burrowed. Now that they have friends they just zip all over the tank with each other. So awesome haha

Attachments

• 2015-02-04 19.03.20.jpg
    2015-02-04 19.03.20.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 51
Our biggest dojo was the very first fish we bought! We loved him so much we got him a couple friends. Might have gone overboard but they are the life of the tank. They crack me up - we find them in the most hilarious positions. In plants, standing up, burrowed. Now that they have friends they just zip all over the tank with each other. So awesome haha

Definitely not overboard! They really are I might get a second for mine.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423530311.363268.jpg

This is my 75g. Yes it's planted. My first planted tank. Can we see pics of your 36g since it's set up?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

View attachment 263850

This is my 75g. Yes it's planted. My first planted tank. Can we see pics of your 36g since it's set up?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Definitely! Check em out.

Attachments

• 2015-02-09 18.28.07.jpg
    2015-02-09 18.28.07.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 2015-02-09 18.28.15.jpg
    2015-02-09 18.28.15.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 2015-02-09 18.28.31.jpg
    2015-02-09 18.28.31.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2015-02-09 18.28.40.jpg
    2015-02-09 18.28.40.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 55
Very colorful looking good! Just remember your loaches prefer sand so in 75 of you move them there sand is recommended.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423537055.696117.jpg

My tank finished cycling tonight and I added my dojo. He didn't know what to do at first in such a larger tank. Now he loves exploring all the rocks and plants :)

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I can't tell from your pics, but make sure you have some real driftwood as many Plecos use wood as part of their diet and it grows Aufwuchs for them to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't tell from your pics, but make sure you have some real driftwood as many Plecos use wood as part of their diet and it grows Aufwuchs for them to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I forgot about that, yes pleco's love driftwood.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Back
Top Bottom