Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New member 35 gallon tank

I’m a newbie to aquariums and am looking for advice on how to set up my 35 gallon fish tank. I have a small 10 gallon tank now that was equipped. It is the (tank only) and I have no idea what items I need to purchase. How many filters, pumps, lighting, hood, etc. I’m new to this and am not looking to spend too much money and I am not sure what type of fish I want to put in it. Any assistance would be appreciated. I would like a list to take to the pet store or purchase online.
Thank you,

neak04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! Welcome to AA!

Items you need for a freshwater 35 gallon (I don't know anything about saltwater, sorry):

*API water test kit--you need this to keep your fish healthy. It will allow you to monitor the levels of toxins in the water which are naturally produced by decaying fish food, waste and the natural process of respiration.
*Prime water conditioner--all tap water contains chemicals that are toxic to fish. You need a good water conditioner to neutralize them and make it safe for your fish to live in Prime is the best in the market.
*good filter--the higher the Gallons Per Hour (GPH) the better
*gravel vacuum--you'll need this to clean waste from the bottom of your tank
*substrate--Usually about a pound of sand or gravel is recommended per gallon. Whether you get sand or gravel will depend on what kind of fish you decide upon

Those are the basics to get your tank set up. Before you get fish, you'll need to do what's called a cycle, which means you'll be waiting for a natural balance to establish itself so that, once you have fish in the tank, some of the toxins their waste produced are naturally consumed by beneficial bacteria. Don't let the pet store tell you this cycle can be "created instantly" by "bottled bacteria." The bottled bacteria can help, but it will still take weeks to get the cycle going so it's safe for your fish. Also do NOT let the store convince you to get fish yet. You'll know your tank is ready when your water parameters read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and low levels of nitrates. This takes time to happen and will require you to feed the cycle over the weeks you're waiting.

Lots of information above. Once you've read through it, feel free to PM me with questions or to start a thread in an AA forum asking specific questions. People here will be glad to help you get launched.)
Greta1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, gallon, new member, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com