The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twerzle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Thanks for having me. I recently set up a couple of 15 gal tanks for fancy guppies. I have added the salt and start up liquid and change 1/3 of the water every week. I am losing a lot of my adults though the fry seems to be doing ok. Not sure why though. Thinking I need to invest in a kit to test my water. What do you think?

Welcome to AA!
A test kit would be a good investment. Recommended is the API Freshwater Master kit.
How much salt are you adding? How long have the tanks been setup? It is possible that the adults are having issues with ammonia or nitrites...really cannot tell unless you test for these. The 33% water change might not be enough. How many adult fish are there in each tank?

I have only had them up 2 to 3 months. I put a couple of tablespoons of salt in whenever I add new water. There are 5 or 6 adult females and a bunch of fry st the moment. Most of the males died.

I’m wondering if the tanks were not properly cycled. Hard to tell without a test kit. Were all of the adult guppies added at one time or were they gradually added over a few weeks?
Do you know if the guppies were kept in the same salinity prior to obtaining?

I dont know anything about the salinity but I added a few males at the same time.

If you are using tablespoon's that is a lot. You should be using 1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons tops. You really don't need to use salt at all but if you do it's usually 1 teaspoon per 5-10 gallons. Idk if that's the problem you're having but it's to much salt IMO.

You are using way too much salt. Guppies are really not a brackish fish...no salt would be best. Invest in a liquid test kit and depending on your stocking, up the weekly water changes to at least 50%. Over filtration is always good too.

Back
Top Bottom