Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Exclamation New member! A lil advice would be nice;)

Hello fellow aquatic enthusiasts, Im currently undergoing setting up a nano reef in a 10 gallon tank, I'm not entirely sure of what I'm doing but everything seems to be going ok, actully better then anticipated. I was just hoping to get a lil extra re assurance to make sure I'm doing everything ok... In my tank I have crushed coral as a substrate , about 8 pounds of figi live rock that has been curig for 2 an a half weeks now, 3 hermits with include-scarlet,zebra 1 unknown and also have a emerald crab that came on the live rock. My filter is standard came with aquarium it uses 3 ceramic pads I chose the ones optimal for exotic fish, another filter for debris, 100 watt heater and a standard flour cent bulb. Oh an a fan to add a bit of motion into the water, The crabs are surviving and the rock has begun to make sum drastic changes. I was jus curious if this seems like a proper setup for now, I kno I'll have to get diffrent lights if I want sum corals or anemones but how does it seem. I'm trying my best testing levels regularly the only one that seems low is the magnesium an I have been supplementing to get it Into the target area. Any opinions would be appreciated.. This is a new hobby of mine so I don't mean to sound ignorant if I'm doin something wrong as I love every creature I care for.. So please voice your thoughts. And thanx for reading my short story

Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvsfx
Hello fellow aquatic enthusiasts, Im currently undergoing setting up a nano reef in a 10 gallon tank, I'm not entirely sure of what I'm doing but everything seems to be going ok, actully better then anticipated. I was just hoping to get a lil extra re assurance to make sure I'm doing everything ok... In my tank I have crushed coral as a substrate , about 8 pounds of figi live rock that has been curig for 2 an a half weeks now, 3 hermits with include-scarlet,zebra 1 unknown and also have a emerald crab that came on the live rock. My filter is standard came with aquarium it uses 3 ceramic pads I chose the ones optimal for exotic fish, another filter for debris, 100 watt heater and a standard flour cent bulb. Oh an a fan to add a bit of motion into the water, The crabs are surviving and the rock has begun to make sum drastic changes. I was jus curious if this seems like a proper setup for now, I kno I'll have to get diffrent lights if I want sum corals or anemones but how does it seem. I'm trying my best testing levels regularly the only one that seems low is the magnesium an I have been supplementing to get it Into the target area. Any opinions would be appreciated.. This is a new hobby of mine so I don't mean to sound ignorant if I'm doin something wrong as I love every creature I care for.. So please voice your thoughts. And thanx for reading my short story
Welcome, thanks for joining us!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA!

There are a lot of good people here with plenty of experience and are willing to offer advise.

Please post pics so we can see what you have going on.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here are some pics as requested the only one I didn't manage to get was the emerald as he seems to be nocturnal only coming out when the lights are off, or maybe he's just a lil camera shy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3894489598.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	72611   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4251546066.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	72612  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2704716234.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	72613   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-588817327.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	72614  

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Try to get to at least a pound of rock per gallon of water. About 5x the amount of rock u have would be ideal for a reef. Look up diatoms too. How did you cycle?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I let my tank run for about a month with filter an everything then did about a 100 percent water change I did this because I was set on a brackish tank but then decided to go fully salt , added the live rock then a week later added the other hermits a week after that.. I don't think I did it quite right because my nitrate level peaked last week then dropped to 0 the following day and has remained 0 ever since .. Even the I probably messed up is it now safe to say I'm in the clear?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hermits have been in there since January 8th
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also I have had some mollusks, oysters or something grow and open up on my rock but every time one does my biggest hermit seems to come along and knock them off or break them In half entirely , will these grow back or if I place them back on the rock will they re attach?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Check our articles ection on cycling a SW tank. Read it and tell me what you think. Have you ever tested for ammonina and nitrite? If it were me, I'd add substantial base or more live rock and cycle the tank anyway with it all in there to be safe.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright I will do Austin , yes I have tested for nitrate I had moderate to low levels for awhile and added supplements that remove nitrite, nitrate and ammonia, last week my levels peaked to the highest point I ever seen them at... Then the following day absolutely none whatsoever and have been at a 0 ever since, i will probably add sum more live rock in a week or two ill get sum cured stuff this time.. I noticed there are different kinds are they all compatible? And will they offer a wider range of specimens? I also came across what I think are fan/duster worms 1 3 days ago and another 15 minutes ago they got tiny lil shafts an bristles at the top when I shine a light on them they tend to retract the bristles very quickly. Are those what I think they are? And are they a good sign? I read that they only grow under prime conditions . But that was an older thread. Thanx again for the help Austin!

Tags
help first tank, hermit crab, liverock, saltwater, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com