New member advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirstymitch1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to this fish keeping, I once had a tank as a kid but that was donkeys ago and parents sorted it mainly.
I have a 45litre biorb life.. I know biorbs are a little contentious but it suited my needs. It's been running fine got water cycled and all doing well.. Until now.....
I had 5 Mollie's, 2 male and 3 female. 2 females had given birth to fry which over time numbers dwindled due to been eaten I guess as had 18 or so now seem to only have 5 or 6 left. Put some new live plants in on Monday last week and now had a adult male and female die.. Female was a white one who had given birth 10 days previously and no obvious reason why, male was black and had white spot on back fin. Treated tank for white spot but male still died. Im now concerned that the rest will die.. Is there anything I should be doing?

Please help ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long ago did you set up the tank? What is your partial water change schedule?

It was set up 3mths ago all levels ok and zero .. Do partial changes every week-10 days or so

It's always been 7.6 from the off Its never changed

Yes everything at 0 and had been prior to deaths and white spot.. The only thing done differently was if bought some more live plants so fry could hide amongst them.

The white female mollie stopped eating and was just hanging around at the bottom before she died, the black male mollie had a white spot towards his back fin was eating ok bit slower then he hid at the bottom before dying.. I'd treated tank with salt and got white spot treatment day before he died. Completed treatment and did partial water change as ammonia had slightly raised but only just.. The fish left seem ok feeding ok one female is pregnant she's ok the other female on/off hides and goes quiet. Male left seems ok no marks visible..

It didn't look furry so I'm guessing it was normal. He only had the one spot too

Would the new plants bring the disease in?

Could of done yes. I've been really unlucky once and had ich from buying plants. Now I carefully check any fish in the plant tanks and try to QT plants as well.

It did all seem to start going wrong 4 days after putting new plants in.. The plants were sold separate to any fish so not able to see if fish ok with them. It seems round near me that's how they sell plants in there own tanks...guess I just keep an eye on the rest of them. If more start to die what should I do?

For the moment I'd say just an extra water change as they seem ok. What percent are you doing at the moment? Is having a spare small tank for quarantine possible? I've found putting the infected ones in there gets them out of the DT so they can't infect other fish and it's generally quieter so they can recover better. If not possible and they get sick, re-post.

I do 20% water changes generally.. I will do a water change and see how things go.. Not got room for another tank at the minute but if it keeps happening I'll have to try sort something out.. They seem ok today so fingers crossed. Thank you for your help and advice much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom