New member and getting very confused!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from what I understand abt Mossballs is that too many can be a bad thing however just 3 or 4 in a decent tank like yours is beneficial too.

the mossball does something in the aquarium I cant remember atm I think it just helps absorb more ammonia from fish waste. it will sit at the bottom and when it gets hungry and needs more light it will float to the top of the aquarium for a while and then when it is full will sink again.

it breeds by division so when it feels like making another ball it will divide a portion and a baby ball will appear.

since it floats around and is actually more algae than mossball it also collects algae on it so that gives something for shrimps and other algae eaters to much on.

just remember if you start getting tons of them to take a few out. someone in the plant forums might be able to tell you how many is too many. but I bet with your tank your good for at least a dozen. just start with a couple and let them have babies and populate your tank.

the mossball does something in the aquarium I cant remember atm I think it just helps absorb more ammonia from fish waste. it will sit at the bottom and when it gets hungry and needs more light it will float to the top of the aquarium for a while and then when it is full will sink again.

That's actually exactly what I heard from a lady at petsmart when a customer asked about them.

They don't get hungry and float to the top to collect light. That's just an action of the flow in the tank and at the very most a possible buildup of o2 inside the moss ball from it absorbing some co2 in the tank.

The moss balls are algae and the thing that keeps them round is water movement. They will need to be rotated occasionally or the bottom layer will die from lack of light. They are neat and won't hurt anything to put them in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom