New member and rookie fish keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last August a babysitter took our two small children to a local fair and came back with......two goldfish! At first I was slightly irritated at her bringing home something new for me to take care of. I had no tank or anything so just put the poor things in a glass mixing bowl. To be honest I expected they would quickly die as I had heard fish from fairs were normally not well taken care of and likely diseased......but I was wrong! Two days later they were still swimming around.

At that point I took pity on them and we headed to the pet store to get a goldfish bowl. Back at home, watching them swim around, I started to realize how fun fish are! I recall being fascinated with the tank at my dentist's office as a child and I became quite attached to these 2 little goldfish. Sadly however they didn't last and a few days later they were belly up but by that time I was hooked.

The next trip to the pet store resulted in a purchase of a 10g tank and 3 tropical fish. Despite my proclamations to my husband that 'it's all for the kids' secretly I suspected I loved them the most.

In the next few weeks I poured so much time into that tank! Why did the fish keep dying?? Why where the nitrates so high??!! My local fish store was not much help. They told me to use ammonia remover to get rid of nitrates (???). When that didn't work they told me I should throw it all away and start again. I didn't want to do that. So.....I turned to the internet and soon started to learn that I had a simple problem - my tank just hadn't cycled yet. Lots of water changed and a few weeks after that the tank cycled and stabilized and all was good.

Now 18 months later I am ready for an upgrade. I just bought a new tank and am very excited!! My new shiny 60 gallon is sitting in my living room as we speak. I filled it with water last night and am letting it run for a few days before doing anything else.

So that's my story. I am excited about joining this site. I have already posted 2 questions and was amazed at how fast I got responses! And I have already been given great advice, so thank you.

Sally

Welcome to the forum! Many of us started out listening to the lfs and finally realized they're only trying to make money.

I'm glad you took things into your own hands and did some research! Fish keeping is all about doing your research before purchasing fish.

What do you plan on stocking your new tank with? :)

Well I already have three dalmation mollies one type of tetra +3 neon tetras. I wanted some of the semi aggressive fish (barbs and bala shark) But I'm now learning that they don't go together. Tho I saw a chart saying they can with caution but not sure what that means?

If I can put them together great. If I can't I will probably stick to mollies guppies tetras etc.

Any tips for a quiet filter? I bought an Aqueon but it's loud!

Oh ok no problem I can get more. I thought with schooling fish you needed 3 or more? How many do you think I should have?

If you do want to go semi aggressive you have lots of options with a 60 gallon but you would have to return the mollies and tetras.

Welcome to AA & congrats on the new tank! :)

A big welcome to the forum.
When deciding to set up a new tank I like to think of a theme, be it soft water South American, hard water Rift Valley, small shoaling and peaceful, larger and more character fish. Planted, live or artificial, rocks only etc etc. then I choose from the many fish available that go with my idea for the tank. I can't always have what I want in the one tank but getting all the fish to thrive in my chosen environment more than compensates for maybe not having my initial gut choices.
Good luck with the new tank and keep us updated. It's great to follow the progress of a new set up.

Like lake malawi... Cichlid tank ?

If you have a KH test kit, mesure your tap KH, so you'll can choose fish optimized for your tap hardness.

Back
Top Bottom