New member and tank:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotopoulos

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

My boyfriend and I are starting our first tank together...me with 0 experience and him with a lot more than me, I don't want to talk too highly of him! We are both new to AA and are very impressed and thankful for the advice we already have recieved.

Looking forward to sharing our tank progress (a baby 6g SW) with everyone and taking tips and pointers on the way!

S and B:fish2:

I'm in a similar boat. I also have no experience, but my hubby owned a tank when he was younger. Glad I'm not the only newbie here! What fish do you have/are you getting?

Last edited:
Welcome to AA! Looking forward to seeing your tank(s) :D

Hi alcarinhwesta,

Since our tank is small we are finding out, with the help of the amazing members on this site, that we are very limited of what type and how many fish we put in. For now we have 2 chromis to break the tank in and we plan to focus on the reef aspect. Once we are happy with our rocks and frags we will get one fish to focus on...he will still be a star regardless if he's not a 'Nemo!'

What about your tank? Sounds like you have an exciting journey ahead of you as well! It is always fun to do things together:)

Good luck!

S and B

Welcome. I'm new as well to the forum but have some experience in the hobby. Given the size of you tank, look at mainly inverts and 1 fish (neon goby, perhaps?).

Awesome! Thanks wabbitbugs...someone else mentioned a goby...will look into the neon ones. Would a royal gramma fish be ok or is the tank too small? I am looking forward to a colourful tank with lots of inverts. Will take time.

Do keep in mind that a 6 g is very very tiny. If the chromis make it past the cycle (doubtful), they will need to go. Look into interesting shrimp like the fire shrimp. Royal gramma is not recommended for this size tank.

Ok thanks. And the chromis need to go sooner than later eh? I was told it was do-able but apparently not. Yikes. And how long is this first cycle we are doing?

It depends. Keep testing. A fishless cycle is best but too late for that. Once ur tests start to come in normal( 3 weeks maybe?) you can slowly offload the chromis and add either a shrimp or goby.

Ok. That's great. The tank has been cyclic for 2 weeks without fish and 1 week with. I will have my boyfriend test again in a couple of days. The water was perfect on Sunday so fingers crossed. Can you give me a guideline for levels? I am sure my f knows but I want to make a solid note so we both know. Thanks:)

Basic levels are -
Ammonia 0
Nitries 0
Nitrates close to nil
Calcium 400
Ph 8.2
Sg 1.023

if your tank had no ammonia source for those first 2 weeks then it was not cycling. you need to add a source of ammonia to start a cycle. if you've had fish in there for one week, the cycle could take anywhere from 3-6 more weeks to finish. it usually takes longer with fish because you have to do daily (sometimes twice daily) PWC's to keep levels safe for your fish. don't let ammonia go above .25ppm (or it will start to burn their gills and cause permanent damage--left unchecked too long and they will die) or nitrite go above .5ppm or so (it will poison their blood and also cause permanent damage if not death) and nitrates should be under 40ppm (you will not see nitrate until near the end of the cycle).

EDIT: ok, just realized you have salt water. not sure if the same levels apply (i think nitrate is the only thing that will be different). sorry bout that.

Thanks for your input and concerns. We have a CUC and 2 fish in the tank with perfect levels. I believe FW and SW differ...my bf and I picked up a couple amazing books tonight and have other AA member's target level guidelines as well...and! The tank is good:).

Back
Top Bottom