new member and who's pulling up my plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raegandolf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I have a 75 gallon fresh water tank- I had it set up as a reef tank for a few years then went fresh when I moved 3 years ago. I love growing plants and trying to create a balanced ecosystem. Right now I only have some cory cats, glass cats, an angel fish, clown loach, a few plecos (bristlenose, rubber lipped, and clown) and 3 Chinese algae eaters. I gave away my silver dollars because I want to try discus at some point soon AND I thought they were eating and pulling up my plants. I have 3 kinds of plants now- I don't know what they are but I learned to avoid short ones because somehow they seem the most tasty.

Apparently it wasn't the silver dollars..... something must be really tugging at the plants because even when I bunch them and sink them with a rubber band and fishing weight, they get pulled up with a only a little eaten at a time and sometimes cut in half. I only have one plant type they leave alone and I really want some variety- the one they leave is some fast growing long bladed plant that gets about 10 inches tall.

I'm guessing is the algae eaters or a pleco- are any of those know for that behavior?

Thanks so much!

My pleco is a big digger in the sand when trying to make his cave comfortable, so maybe you Pleco likes plants.

My Angels started eating plants quite regularly when I had more of them.

Also do you have any driftwood for the Plecos to munch on??? Some really NEED it for digestion, maybe they are chomping them for some extra fiber?

Back
Top Bottom