Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you do too many water changes during a cycle you will for sure just be spinning your wheels. It's a balancing act between keeping ammonia levels down and letting the cycle take it's course. If levels are spiking badly enough to have to do 2 water changes per day you are in trouble.

Zfro09 how many fish are currently in your tank?

Old 02-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pete View Post
If you do too many water changes during a cycle you will for sure just be spinning your wheels. It's a balancing act between keeping ammonia levels down and letting the cycle take it's course. If levels are spiking badly enough to have to do 2 water changes per day you are in trouble.

Zfro09 how many fish are currently in your tank?
True, I was just giving a little knowledge for a question that can't be directly answered with a yes or no!!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I gotcha. Just trying to clear up the statement that most people end up doing 2 water changes per day. I think that statement is way off base .
Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pete View Post
I gotcha. Just trying to clear up the statement that most people end up doing 2 water changes per day. I think that statement is way off base .
Yes it is, in a cycled tank that may kill off bb unless its a 10% wc or so
Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

New to your site and a New-ish 29G. Coralife BioCube

Hi All,
I have been replying and using Aquarium Advice for the last couple of months, but have had lots of problems LOGGING in. I've had to edit my user name and edit my password too.
Finally, today I have logged in successfully!
I have had fish tanks, before both fresh and salt, but fish only.

I have started a 29g. BioCube (Coralife) and it has finished cycling. I have two fish, so far and some Clean-up Crews. I do want to get into Coral, but don't know where to start and an nervous about any toxic ones I've researched and learned a little about.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks and looking forward to the Improved ways I am learning about for Fishkeeping!
Info:
Stock tank and lights, no Bio Balls, using In-Tank media basket-Love it, so simple to take care of. 100W. Heater-Temp. 77-78, Salinity 1.025, Parameters: 0.00 Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. 36 lbs. Live rock and Live Sand-(wish I had known I could have used non-live sand to start).
Fish: One blue green Chromis and one Firefish Goby
Inverts: some small blue legged hermits, 4-5 Nassarius snails, two small hitchhiking Brittle starfish hiding in the live rock.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL, I read that one of the people posting said that most people change the water twice a day, probably a typo.
Here's the original post, I read-"
Hi and welcome! Keep an eye on your levels when ammonia gets to to .25 do a 50% water change it will ease the stress on your fish. Most people end up changing water twice a day. Good luck!"
That is why I was asking?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFish View Post
Hi All,

I have been replying and using Aquarium Advice for the last couple of months, but have had lots of problems LOGGING in. I've had to edit my user name and edit my password too.

Finally, today I have logged in successfully!

I have had fish tanks, before both fresh and salt, but fish only.

I have started a 29g. BioCube (Coralife) and it has finished cycling. I have two fish, so far and some Clean-up Crews. I do want to get into Coral, but don't know where to start and an nervous about any toxic ones I've researched and learned a little about.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and looking forward to the Improved ways I am learning about for Fishkeeping!

Info:

Stock tank and lights, no Bio Balls, using In-Tank media basket-Love it, so simple to take care of. 100W. Heater-Temp. 77-78, Salinity 1.025, Parameters: 0.00 Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. 36 lbs. Live rock and Live Sand-(wish I had known I could have used non-live sand to start).

Fish: One blue green Chromis and one Firefish Goby

Inverts: some small blue legged hermits, 4-5 Nassarius snails, two small hitchhiking Brittle starfish hiding in the live rock.

http://www.liveaquaria.com

This is an excellent site for researching corals.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do have a question, on my Live Rock I have some bright lime green stalk of a plant of some sort growing. It is about 1/8th" around and in a few days it has grow to about 1/4". Should I get rid of it? It looks like a plant starting to grow. Tank is 5-6 weeks old and salt water, live rock, live sand. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have been researching getting some corals, and one of LFS tried to sell me some, but I am not sure about any of them and is looked kind of trashed.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Does any reef tank keepers have success using the Scripps Water for their PWC? It is the water located at Scripps Oceanography Pier. Free It is supposed to be triple filtered.

Tags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com