New member/aquarist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zfro09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone my name is Zach I'm from Chicago. I just recently found out how amazing fish are (well I knew they were amazing) but never had them as pets. Unfortunately I was un educated and like many un educated people make bad decisions. So I bought a 55 Gallon setup and had no idea what cycling was. So I bought my fish and now I'm dealing with many issues unfortunately. But I've found much advice so I decided to become a member. So I hope you guys don't hate me because of my noobieness I'm here to make my fishies lives better.

Hi zach! Welcome to the forum :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a newbie too. This forum is great. So many friendly and helpful peeps. Welcome welcome.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi and welcome! Keep an eye on your levels when ammonia gets to to .25 do a 50% water change it will ease the stress on your fish. Most people end up changing water twice a day. Good luck!

Thanks glad to be on here

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water changes twice a day? Just wondering if this is right? Thanks!

No water changes twice a day is not right.

Depends on the situation were dealing with actually. If your doing a fish in cycle and need the keep ammonia and nitrites levels down and they are jumping that fast, then yes it could be considered right.

On a normal cycled tank no. Once a week depending on the fish and sensitivity level to nitrates. Some tanks 2x a week others 1 time every 2 weeks. It varies too much to give a definate no.

If you do too many water changes during a cycle you will for sure just be spinning your wheels. It's a balancing act between keeping ammonia levels down and letting the cycle take it's course. If levels are spiking badly enough to have to do 2 water changes per day you are in trouble.

Zfro09 how many fish are currently in your tank?

If you do too many water changes during a cycle you will for sure just be spinning your wheels. It's a balancing act between keeping ammonia levels down and letting the cycle take it's course. If levels are spiking badly enough to have to do 2 water changes per day you are in trouble.

Zfro09 how many fish are currently in your tank?

True, I was just giving a little knowledge for a question that can't be directly answered with a yes or no!!

I gotcha. Just trying to clear up the statement that most people end up doing 2 water changes per day. I think that statement is way off base .

New to your site and a New-ish 29G. Coralife BioCube

Hi All,
I have been replying and using Aquarium Advice for the last couple of months, but have had lots of problems LOGGING in. :confused: I've had to edit my user name and edit my password too.
Finally, today I have logged in successfully! :lol:
I have had fish tanks, before both fresh and salt, but fish only.

I have started a 29g. BioCube (Coralife) and it has finished cycling. I have two fish, so far and some Clean-up Crews. I do want to get into Coral, but don't know where to start and an nervous about any toxic ones I've researched and learned a little about.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks and looking forward to the Improved ways I am learning about for Fishkeeping!
Info:
Stock tank and lights, no Bio Balls, using In-Tank media basket-Love it, so simple to take care of. 100W. Heater-Temp. 77-78, Salinity 1.025, Parameters: 0.00 Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. 36 lbs. Live rock and Live Sand-(wish I had known I could have used non-live sand to start).
Fish: One blue green Chromis and one Firefish Goby
Inverts: some small blue legged hermits, 4-5 Nassarius snails, two small hitchhiking Brittle starfish hiding in the live rock.

LOL, I read that one of the people posting said that most people change the water twice a day, probably a typo.
Here's the original post, I read-"
Hi and welcome! Keep an eye on your levels when ammonia gets to to .25 do a 50% water change it will ease the stress on your fish. Most people end up changing water twice a day. Good luck!"
That is why I was asking?

Hi All,

I have been replying and using Aquarium Advice for the last couple of months, but have had lots of problems LOGGING in. :confused: I've had to edit my user name and edit my password too.

Finally, today I have logged in successfully! :lol:

I have had fish tanks, before both fresh and salt, but fish only.

I have started a 29g. BioCube (Coralife) and it has finished cycling. I have two fish, so far and some Clean-up Crews. I do want to get into Coral, but don't know where to start and an nervous about any toxic ones I've researched and learned a little about.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and looking forward to the Improved ways I am learning about for Fishkeeping!

Info:

Stock tank and lights, no Bio Balls, using In-Tank media basket-Love it, so simple to take care of. 100W. Heater-Temp. 77-78, Salinity 1.025, Parameters: 0.00 Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. 36 lbs. Live rock and Live Sand-(wish I had known I could have used non-live sand to start).

Fish: One blue green Chromis and one Firefish Goby

Inverts: some small blue legged hermits, 4-5 Nassarius snails, two small hitchhiking Brittle starfish hiding in the live rock.

http://www.liveaquaria.com

This is an excellent site for researching corals.

I do have a question, on my Live Rock I have some bright lime green stalk of a plant of some sort growing. It is about 1/8th" around and in a few days it has grow to about 1/4". Should I get rid of it? It looks like a plant starting to grow. Tank is 5-6 weeks old and salt water, live rock, live sand. Thanks.

I have been researching getting some corals, and one of LFS tried to sell me some, but I am not sure about any of them and is looked kind of trashed.

Does any reef tank keepers have success using the Scripps Water for their PWC? It is the water located at Scripps Oceanography Pier. Free It is supposed to be triple filtered.

Back
Top Bottom