Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New member, first tank ever

Hello! For two weeks I've been reading about setting a tank, and over this past weekend, I took the plunge. I gave away my ball python, gave the tank a good scrubbing, and started my aquarium.

So now my 30 gallon tank has gravel (fine, volcanic looking - made for planted tanks) an awesome large rock, a couple small ones, and a piece of African root wood(I think it's called), a fluval 206 canister, and the following plants
Crypt Balansae - x1
Crypt Wendtii Red - x1
Anacharis Wild - x2
Moss Ball - x1
Anubias Barteri - x1

I currently still have my single tube reptile light that was purchased for turtles, and used for the snake. This weekend (or next) I will be getting a proper aquarium hood and lighting.... My plan is to shoot for 1.5-2.5 WPG... I think that should be enough if I stick to lower light plants- would y'all agree?

On day 1 I added a danio, but took it out and gave to a friend after finally deciding to fishless cycle. This was Saturday, 4 days ago. Yesterday I finally found pure ammonia, and added a capful... But I had already (barely) tested positive for low levels of nitrite . The capful brought me to an ammonia level of 4.0 ppm

Today, about 30 hrs since adding ammonia, ammonia was down to about 1.0 ppm, Nitrites at 1-1.5, and tested positive for Nitrates (I can't tell how much though, but it wasn't yellow, but a light shade of orange- on my kit, yellow is neg, orange means present)

So I'm super excited about the cycle starting, but I am surprised I already have progress on the nitrite to nitrate conversions... Is it crazy to think that I might be fully cycled in <10 days?? I am incredibly impatient, yet committed to doing this the right way...

So my first question..... Do I continue adding ammonia? If so, what's my target ppm? Do I still shoot for 4-5 ppm, or lower amount.... And how long should it take for the tank to fully digest 4ppm of ammonia, to 0 ammonia and nitrite.

Btw: for those who may ask, my plan is stock the tank as follows: (spoiler. This is based of a suggestion I think I found somewhere in these forums)
2 Blue Rams (mated pair)
1 Bristlenose OR 5 Otocinclus Catfish
5 corydoras
8 Small Tetras or 5 endlers livebearers

I would love to hear some feed back from some vets or anyone who knows more than me!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-132524442.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	173733   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1121405522.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	173734  

Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks great!!!! It will look amazing when the plants grow in. Your stock looks good. You could probably add a few more fish (depending on the type) to the list

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #3

Thanks! So maybe I would add some tiger barbs to the mix.. Any input on the cycle? Do I keep adding ammonia?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tiger Barbs, IMO should only be kept with cory cats, plecos, tiger barbs, serpae tetras, and other semi agressive-agressive barbs. They're aggressive and pretty nippy. They also get kinda large, so small fish like neon tetras, endlers, etc could be eaten!

You could do something like:
1 Pair of Rams
3 Otos or 1 Pleco
5 Cory Cats
6 Small Tetras
3 Endlers
1 Honey Gourami

Are you sure the tank is only 30 gallons? It looks a lot bigger!

And yes, keep adding ammonia and changing water as needed till ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 30 or under.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

Thanks convict. Scottyhorse, thanks for the advice. Yea, it's a 30 (I did maths), maybe for tanks, the camera adds 10 gallons
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome. Tank looks nice.

The time I have read on this and other forums for converting 4 ppm ammonia to zero (and zero nitrites) is generally 24 hours. Since it is fishless, the high nitrates should not be an issue but water changes should bring those down.

Did you use media from another tank or any additives (bacteria boosters) during the cycle? My latest tank cycled in 15 days; I used ceramic media from a filter running in an established tank and I believe that sped up the process.

I would add at least a pair of each type of crypt. Plants look nice in groups of odd numbers such as three.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Also, I would hold off on the Otos until you have a nice lawn of diatoms and algae.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #9

Fresh, thanks for feedback. Yeah, I used a bacteria culture suspended in some ammonia solution... Recommended by guy at lfs... I plan on getting a bristlenose pleco (golden albino if i get lucky) if I can find one over the otos... So I imagine by the time i find one ill have enough growth. I agree on the plants, but I was getting in trouble with how much I already spent to get this far! Something tells me ill get in trouble again when it comes time to stock.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Bacterial suspensions appear to work though I am not sure they go about and secure themselves on the appropriate surfaces (bio filter media).
Purchasing plants online may be more cost effective or even more so from users in this forum.

Tags
first tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com