New Member from Central VA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S_Morgan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie here. Had fish tanks when I was younger, and don't think I ever lost a fish. Now, I have a 10 gal aquarium for my youngest son and we can't seem to keep guppies alive.

The setup is two weeks old. After letting the tank normalize over a four day period, We started with two guppies and a Corey. Both guppies died after two or three days and we replaced them. One of those guppies died, and we replaced it with a gold twin barb. Then the other guppie died and we replaced it with a cherry barb. Now the cherry barb does not look good. The Corey seems fine.

My ammonia levels are high (4.0-8.0 ppm) and my Nitrite levels are zero. Makes me think the biological filter isn't kicking in. I have been doing 25% water changes every three or four days. After the change, my ammonia readings are around 0.5 -1.0 ppm. After two or three days, it is back to 4.0 ppm. I have been using an ammonia detoxifier in the meantime, while waiting for the biofilter to kick in. Also, tested my PH for the first time tonight only to discover that it is 6.0 or lower (test is only good down to 6.0). Tank temp is around 74 deg.

I hate to introduce myself and jump right in to asking for help, but I am at the end of what I know about aquariums. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi welcome to AA :) it's best to keep up with those water changes daily. U will want
to keep Ammo under .25 to be safe for your fishies... You'll start seeing some
Nitrite and the same goes with it... Try and get it under .25 once nitrates show up. Ur ammo and nitrite should start going
Down on their own but until then continue daily water changes with prime or some sort of ammonia neutralizer;)

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Where at in central Va. Midlothian here.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. I am enclosing a shortcut to an article about cycling your tank with fish. It was written by a member here who really knows his stuff. Please read it, and ask as many questions as necessary. I am in Virginia Beach and will help you any way possible.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

In my signature there is a link to cycling without fish, so you now have a plethora of information at your finger tips

You need to keep your ammonia levels as low as possible, a good safe target is .25 ppm. Higher levels can lead to ammonia poisioning which is what I suspect is your issue.

Glad you found us here and we don't want your money, just your fish to survive and thrive.

Wayne

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom