Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

can you tell i don't feel like working today!!!!! hahahah

ok update on tank design, looking good, almost time to mud and paint.
i got another bag of sand that i will be putting in the new tank. at $9 for a 50lbs bag YOU CAN'T GO WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you are asking yourself, what kind of sand are you using?
I am using pool filtration sand, it's silica based an UV sterilized and totally inert. what this means is it will not affect your water chemestry, your ph will stay the same, i used to use crushed coral, it's a great water buffer but it was keeping my PH a bit high for the fish i was keeping. not to mention all my bottom dwellers are just LOVING the sand, they dig all day long. you can use play sand as well but i find the pool filtration sand works best, it's heaver so when your fish kick up the sand it goes straight to the bottom of the tank, does not float into your filter. and i like the color, looks more natural than play sand, has white/black specs mixed in with the sand so it looks like a natural sea bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fin6.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	88321   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin7.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	88322  

Name:	new2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	88326  

Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You've got me intrigued lol so what size tanks are you running and what's your current stock...also have you ever done a SW tank because with your double in wall setup that would be amazing to keep like a fully planted FW in one and a eye candy type of coral reef in the other

Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

currenly i have 90 gal on the left and 40 gal on the right.
ok here's the story, the 90 gal was established for 15+years, using CC as my substrate. but it was raising my Ph too high for my fish, so i went to sand, when i did that i had an bacteria bloom, then my canisters crashed,
DESTROYED my bacteria colonies.
I lost a 10yr old redtail (very sad)
lost 10 yr old High Fin ID shark
10 yr old Parrot fish survived, but learned from the redtail how to eat goldfish. so when i bought new fish and added to 90 gal, the parrot would eat the fish i bought.

can you believe it, gobbled them whole, i was like dang! So i used one of my spare tanks and created another tank, build the stand from scrap wood i had. so the parrot is all by himself in the 40 for now.
and in the 90 i have:
1 new parrot
2 tiger barbs
2 gouramis
2 tri color sharks
1 jewl
the canisters are rated for 400 gallons each, so i'll never have a problem with the bio load

so now i'm starting over with these new fish, got them about 2 weeks ago, and they are all healthy, tank has cycled and i'm ready for them to get big, lol.

i wanted to do a planted tank but i need more than sand if i was to do that, so i scrapped that idea. I'd love to do a salt tank but it's a little too much maintenance for me. i'm happy with my fresh water

now if you really want to spin your head around something listen to this.
i have my tanks tied into my home automation program i wrote. i am wiring up ultra bright led that will flicker and trigger sound files to play of thunder.
it's a work in progress but i am getting good results. it actually feels like i am in a thunder storm!!!!!!
the picture above, behind that door is my rack system with all my automation hardware
when i turn out the lights in the back room, you cannot see past the tank, so it gives it an 'infinity' type of look, it's hard to see with a picture, but when your standing in front of the tank you can see past the tank into the darkness, it's like the tank is floating in darkness, cool effect.

muhahahahahahah
yea, you can call me super geek, lol
my wife does all the time.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Welcome to AA! I am from Brooklyn but only kept fish for a little less than a year.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

nice,
i'm a queens man myself.
i have my tanks in the basement, so i have a cement floor , safer for me that way, hahahahahah
heavy tanks = problems with floor
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i finished the molding on the second tank, looks good, just had to glue the bottom piece, should be secure in an hour. then time to caulk and paint!!!! i am going to caulk the 2 frames together so it looks like one connected piece, i'll blend them in together. It will look nice

looking good i must say!

oh yea, to show how much of a geek i am, i have a dedicated fish cam that i can watch from any internet connection and my phone, help me keep an eye on them when i'm at work.
i actually open it up on my ipad and it looks like i have an aquarium on my desk, hahaha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cctv.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	88615  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

ready for paint!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	molding.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	88684  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

nice tanks,welcome to AA. i like PFS to,looks nicer than gravel
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea the PFS is better than any other kind of stand because it's heavier than other sands, like play sand. and it has colored grandules, specks of black and white. looks natural, like the ocean floor. and the best part is it's silica based so it is inert, not affecting your ph.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Very nice looking tanks! Nice to see somebody putting the time and effort into freshwater that so many put into saltwater. Love the built in look!

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com