Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Talking New member from Okinawa Japan

Hey all,

New member to the community. Just thought I would stop by and say hi. I have a ton of questions, but I don't want to be that guy that posts stuff that has already been commented on a hundred other places on the forums. That being said, there is a lot to weed through. I want to set up a new 30 gal. community tank soon and just trying to go about it the right way. Want to do low light about 2 wpg and have it planted with no CO2. I know I am very limited given these constrictions, but I like the look of planted tanks and not really wanting to take out a small loan to pay for an awesome tank that is going to take constant upkeep, money etc. Not really decided on what fish and plants, substrate etc yet. Anyway, there are still some things I want to get for my other tanks as well. Especially a few more heaters. I have a few on standby for when winter comes, but not enough for the tanks that I have now. Anyway, if you all can refer me to a couple of good forums that I should read first then that would be great. I have already been doing a bit of browsing as a guest.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Given my goals for this new tank, can anyone recommend a book that would give me the information I need to start this tank? Every time I finally think I have a good plan in place, someone comes along and offers advice that is contrary to what I had read somewhere else. At this point I just want to follow one person that really knows what they are doing and have been proven to be successful rather than take a little from here and there and everywhere and filter through many schools of thought. Thanks so much guys. Looking forward to the thoughts.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

HELLO! don't worry about questions the search function is useless and fishgeeks will repeat the information they know on a daily basis till the day ther die :p ask away my man

When and if you find this magical person or book for god sakes personal message me their name bahaha keeping an aquarium is a little bit of science and a lot of opinions, best is your gut feeling after some basic knowledge of how nature runs

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA!!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
to AA!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiTank View Post
Hey all,

Want to do low light about 2 wpg and have it planted with no CO2. I know I am very limited given these constrictions, but I like the look of planted tanks and not really wanting to take out a small loan to pay for an awesome tank that is going to take constant upkeep, money etc. Not really decided on what fish and plants, substrate etc yet.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Given my goals for this new tank, can anyone recommend a book that would give me the information I need to start this tank? Every time I finally think I have a good plan in place, someone comes along and offers advice that is contrary to what I had read somewhere else. At this point I just want to follow one person that really knows what they are doing and have been proven to be successful rather than take a little from here and there and everywhere and filter through many schools of thought. Thanks so much guys. Looking forward to the thoughts.
Well I can tell you this forum is your one stop shop ... literally. Ask away and while you'll get a few members respond, chances are you'll meet up with one whose already done what your looking to do. The members are very friendly and knowledgeable.

In regards to plants ... see the link below and go to light requirements. Some good candidate plants are anubias, java fern, java moss and anarcharis. You'll see others for sure. Substrate I'll leave up to you but some Pool Filter Sand with some gravel on top works fine ... if your trying to keep it relatively simple. A dirt planted tank get a little bit more involved.

Ask away!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

welcome to AA,a ton of members here are knowlagable on plants,so im sure youill get all the help you need
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Check out the link in my signature about fishless cycling. Your fish will be much happier that way welcome to AA! We love to help, and nobody minds repeating it, just as long as it's being put to good use
Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

When it comes to books on fish not many are good but I recommend "The Complete Fishkeeper" by Joseph S. Levine, it's one of the better books I've seen published in this hobby.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome and ask all the questions you want. This site is addictive, so be warned! The #1 thing to do us cycle your tank. Homedog is right. We help many folks and the main issue is preparing your tank properly. Welcome and see ya around

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, low light, new member, no co2, planted tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com